Rajshahi District

Thana & Upazila :

Bagha | Bagmara | Boalia | Charghat | Durgapur | Godagari | Matihar | Mohanpur | Paba | Puthia | Rajpara | Shah Mokhdum | Tanore |

Map :

Bagha | Bagmara | Boalia | Charghat | Durgapur | Godagari | Matihar | Mohanpur | Paba | Puthia | Rajpara | Shah Mokhdum | Tanore |

Backround: Rajshahi district was a part of Pundruvardhana of the ancient Vanga. The capital of Vijoy Sen was located 9 miles on the west of Rajshahi town.

The region consists of Barind Tract, Diara and Char lands. 

Location: Rajshahi District (Rajshahi division) is surrounded by Naogaon district on the north, West Bengal of India, Kushtia district and the Ganges on the south,Natore district on the east and Nawabganj district on the west. 

Area: 2407.01 sq km.

Rivers: Main rivers are Padma (Ganges), Mahanada ,Boral and Barnai. 

Tem,perature: Annual average temperature: maximum 37.8?C, minimum 11.2?C; annual rainfall 1862 mm. 

Rajshahi Town: It stands on the bank of the river Padma. The area of the Rajshahi Town is 96.69 sq km. It consists of four thanas, 39 wards and 169 mahallas. The town has a population of 383655; male 52.91%, female 47.09%. Density of population is 3968 per sq km (Population Census 2001, Preliminary Report). Rajshahi, which is both a district and a divisional town, was flourished, in the seventeenth century. 

The district head quarters were transferred to Rajshahi Town from Natore in 1825. Its ancient name was Rampur Boalia. The tomb of Hazrat Shah Makhdum (established in 1634) is located at Dargahpara of the town. Many European traders were attracted to this town because of its being a centre of silk production and location by the side of the river Padma; subsequently the Dutch, the French and the English East India Company established business houses in the town in phases. 

The Silk Factory Building established by the Dutch is now known as Barakuthi. Later the East India Company purchased the Kuthibhaban from the Dutch. The head quarters of the European Voluntary Regiment was established in the Barakuthi during the Sepoy Revolt in 1857. At the end of the nineteenth century the zamindar of Medinipur purchased the building from the British. After 1947 it was being used as the godown of the civil supply department. When the Rajshahi University was established in 1953, the Barakuthibhaban was turned into the residence of the Vice Chancellor with other office establishments. There are 14 graves of European persons in a cemetery in front of the Kuthibhaban. 

A flood protection embankment was established in 1855 to save the town. Shahib Bazar is the main business centre of the town. The old areas of the town are Shahib Bazar, Rani Bazar, Reshampatti, Boalia, Ghoramara, Hatemkhan, Dargahpara and Kumarpara. Because of flourishing silk industry Rajshahi is also called the City of Silk. Rajshahi municipality was established in 1876 and was turned into a City Corporation in 1991.

Administration: Rajshahi district was established in 1772. Maldaha, Bogra, Pabna, Natore and Nawabganj districts were established in phases dividing this district. It has one city corporation, 4 thanas, 7 municipalities, 93 wards, 297 mahallas, 9 upazilas, 70 union parishads, 1678 mouzas and 1858 villages. 

Upazila:The upazilas are Bagha, Bagmara, Charghat, Durgapur, Godagari, Mohanpur, Paba, Puthia, and Tanore. Thanas are Bhoilia,Rajpara,Matihar, ShahaMokhdum. 

Archaeological heritage and relics: Two domed Kismat Madia Mosque (eighteenth century), one domed Ruipara (Durgapur) Jami Mosque (sixteenth century), Bagdhani Mosque at Paba upazila, three domed Bhagna Jami Mosque at Tanore upazila (1223 AH), tomb of Hazrat Shah Makhdum (R), tomb of Hazrat Shah Sultan at Godagari upazila (fourteenth century), Bara Kuthi (eighteenth century), Talando Shiva Mandir (1860), Rajbari, Govinda Mandir, Shiva Mandir, Gopal Mandir, and Dolmancha (Putia). 

Historical events: Indigo Resistance Movement spread over Rajshahi during 1859-60. Seven communist activists were killed at the Khapra ward of Rajshahi Jail when police fired indiscriminately on 24 April 1950. During the mass upsurge in 1969 Dr. Shamsuzzoha of Rajshahi University was killed. 

Marks of War of Liberation: Mass grave 6, mas killing site 1, memorial monument 4. 

Population: 2262483; male 51.20%, female 48.807%; Muslim 93%; Hindu 5%, Christian 1.5% and others 0.5%; ethnic nationals: Santal 2.34% of the total population; they have their own language

Religious institutions: Mosque 3727, temple 164, church 38 tomb 13 and sacred place 6. 

Literacy:  Average literacy 30.61%; male 37.6% and female 23.2%. 

Educational institutions: University 1, medical college 1, engineering college 2, college 110, teacher's training college 2, law college 1, agriculture college 1, physical training college 1, survey institute 1, para medical institute 1, silk research institute 1, homeopath college 1, primary teacher's training institute 1, nursing institute 1, police academy (sardah) 1, cadet college 1, madrasa 267, high school 393, junior high school 10, government primary school 559, non-government primary school 430, community school 4, KG school 8. 

Noted educational institutions: Rajshahi College (1873), Rajshahi BB Academy (1898), Rajshahi Medical College (1949), Rajshahi Collegiate School (1928), PN Girl's High School (1886), Rajshahi Government Madrasa (1874), Diamond Jubilee Industrial School (1898), Sardaha Police Academy (1912), Putia PN Technical High School (1865), Birkudsha Abinash High School (1917, Bagmara upazila), Sreedhar Government Primary School (1857, Durgapur upazila), Godagari High School (1948), Mohanpur Pilot High School (1948), Shitlai, Kharkhari and Naohata Primary School (1885, Paba upazila), Talonda Ananda Mohan High School (1882, Tanore upazila). 

Newspapers and periodicals: Dailies: Dainik Barta, Dainik Sonali Sangbad, Dainik Sonar Desh, Dainik Prothom Probhat, Dainik Lal Golap, Dainik Upachar, Dainik Padmar Bani, Daily Sun-Shin; weeklies: Dunia, Rajshahi Barta, Ganakhabar, Dharani; Monthly Uttar Janapath; extinct: Hindu Ranjik (1865), Rajshahi Sangbad (1870), Gayanangkur and Pratimva (1872), Rajshahi Samachar, Udbhaban (1872), Chikitsha (1889), Utsaha (1897), Ayetihasik Chitra (1898), Noor-al Iman (1900), Banga Mohila (1915), Palli Bahak (1925), Markab Al Islam (1933), Palli Sakti (1934), Sammilayan (1934), Ektara (1943), Nayajaman (1946); Monthly Shiksha Parichaya.

Extinct or nearly extinct crops Linseed, sesame, indigo, mustard seed, sweet potato, kaun, bajra, arahar and aus paddy. 

Main fruits: Mango, jackfruit, banana, litchi, black berry, coconut, palm and papaya. 

Fisheries, dairies, poultries: Dairy 156, poultry 177, fishery 1977, hatchery 28 and nursery 12. 

Communication facilities: Roads pucca 896 km, semi pucca 686 km and mud road 4726 km; railways 70 km; rail station 13; waterways 91 nautical mile; airport 1. 

Traditional transport Palanquin, horse carriage and bullock cart. These means of transport are either extinct or nearly extinct. 

Manufactories: Silk mill, textile mill, flour and rice mill, cold storage, ice factory, pharmaceuticals, press, aluminum factory, iron mill, match factory, jarda (scented tobacco) factory, plastic industry, metal industries, ice factory, cold storage and welding. 

Cottage industries: Rajshahi district is famous for the production of cocoon and silk fabrics. Silk Board has been established in Rajshahi in 1977. 

Other Cottage industries include weaving, bamboo work, cane work, goldsmith, blacksmith, potteries, brass work, wood work, tailoring, etc. 

Hats, bazars and fairs: Total hats and bazars are 217, most noted of which are Saheb Bazar, Shal Bagan, New Market, Kaliganj, Baneshwar, Taherpur, Narayanpur, Bhabaniganj, Charghat, Durgapur, Godagari, Naohata; fairs 20, most noted of which Rath Mela, Bhaga Eid Mela, Baruni Mela, Mundumala Mela, Kakan Hat Mela, Sultanganj Mela.

Main exports: Jute, sugarcane, date molasses, betel leaf, mango, litchi, catechu, silk sari, silk fabrics and various industrial products. '

NGO activities: CARE, Brac, ASA, Proshika, Grameen Bank, Care, Caritas. 

Health centres: Medical college hospital 1, zila sadar hospital, diabetic hospital 1, heart foundation hospital 1, police hospital 1, railway hospital 1, leprosy hospital 1, prison hospital 1, TB hospital 1, TB clinic 1, triteness hospital 1, eye hospital 1, upazila health complex 9, health & family welfare centre 77, maternity and child welfare centre 1, veterinary hospital 1, and satellite clinic 88.