Chandpur Sadar Upazila (Chandpur district) with an area of 308.87 sq km, is surrounded by Matlab upazila on the north, Faridganj and Haimchar upazilas on the south, Hajiganj and Faridganj upazilas on the east and Bhedarganj upazila on the west.
Main rivers are Meghna and Dakatia.
Chandpur (Town) a municipal town, stands on the bank of the Meghna. Its area is 7.77 sq km. It consists of 15 wards and 75 mahallas. The town has a population of 94821; male 50.77%, female 49.23%. Literacy rate among the town people is 56.4%.
Chandpur Municipality was
established in 1897. In the map of Greater Bengal by James Renel
Chandpur has been exactly indicated along with Tripura. JN Sengupta
thinks that Chandpur was named after zamindar Chand Ray of
Bikrampur. Some people think that it was named after darvish Chand
Fakir of village Koralia adjacent to the town. Again, some people
think that it was named after Chand Sawdagar of the Maimansingh Gita
who used to come to this port for trade with his Swapta Dinga
"Madhukar". During the first part of the twentieth century
some European and Indian business firms established several jute
mills here. But with the partition of Indian sub continent in 1947
most of these business establishments were closed down. This port
was an important centre for jute and grain trades. Besides, many
other trades on ship building, salt refinery, fishing net making and
oil production are present in this port. However, some parts of the
town have submerged into riverbed due to erosion and the Puran (old)
Bazar is now under threat of river erosion. Since 1973 Tk 35 crores
have been spent to build town protection dam with blocks.
Administration Chandpur thana, which was established long ago at Narasinghapur, has been transformed into a subdivision in 1878. While Narasinghapur was extinct by river erosion the Chandpur thana sadar was established at its present location. It was turned into an upazila in 1984. The upazila consists of one municipality, five wards, 14 union parishads, 146 mouzas and 144 villages.
Archaeological heritage and relics Math at Mathkhola, Begum Mosque (1812), Kalibari Mandir (1878).
Historical events About 20 thousand coolies assembled (1920) at Chandpur Steamer Ghat on their way to Calcutta. To contain the coolies the British Government perpetrated a massacre at the Steamer Ghat. Hardayal Nag known as Ghandi of Chandpur protested against this massacre. This protest movement spread all over India. During this movement Mahatma Gandhi, Maulana Mohammad Ali, Chitta Ranjan Das and Subas Chandra Busu visited Chandpur.
Population 396872; male 52.25%, female 47.75%; Muslim 92.91%, Hindu 6.87%, Buddhist 0.03%, Christian 0.07% and others 0.12%. Ethnic nationals: Tipra, approximately 200.
Religious institutions Mosque 644, temple 5, church 1, tomb 2, most noted of which are Begum Mosque, Puran Bazar Mosque, tomb of Khawja Ahmad Saheb (Islampur) and Kalibari Mandir.
Literacy and educational institutions Average literacy 40.1%; male 44.9%, female 34.7%.
Educational institutions: college 5, high school 38, madrasa 58, primary school 135, vocational training centre 1.
Noted educational institutions: Chandpur Government College (1946), Hasan Ali Government Boy's High School (1885, former Jubilee High School), Baburhat High School (1899), Shahtali Alia Madrasa (1899).
Locally published newspapers and periodicals Present: Dainik Chandpur Barta, Chandpur Darpan; extinct- Nababangha.
Cultural organisations Club 81, library 3, cinema hall 3, theatre group 9, literary society and women's organisation 4, government shishu sadan 1, non-government orphanage 7, park 2, stadium 1.
Noted cultural organisations: Barnachora (1973, theatre group) and Udayan Mahila Complex (women's organisation).
Main occupations Agriculture 16.92%, commerce 18.42%, service 13.09%, transport 4.02%, wage labourer 3.73%, agricultural labourer 19.24%, fishing 6.57%, labourer 2.02% and others 15.99%.
Land use Total land 33043.70 hectares, cultivable land 19627.68 hectares; single crop 10.93%, double crop 68.45%, treble crop 20.62%; land under irrigation 3642.25 hectares.
Value of land The market value of the land of the first grade is 12500 Taka per 0.01 hectare.
Main crops Paddy, wheat, potato and sugarcane. Extinct or nearly extinct crops Linseed, sesame, mustard seed, kaun and china.
Main fruits Mango, jackfruit, papaya, coconut, palm and guava.
Fisheries, dairies, poultries Poultry 141, dairy 48 and hatchery 2. Bangladesh Fisheries Research Institute is located here.
Communication facilities During the British rule in India the most useful means of communication was Chandpur to Goalanda by Steamer and from Goalanda to Calcutta by railway. In those days Chandpur was called the gateway to Eastern India. Roads: pucca 32 km, mud road 128 km; railways: 9 km; waterways: 28 nautical mile. Chandpur has earned the status of second river port of Bangladesh because of trades and commerce by waterways.
Traditional transport Palanquin (extinct) and bullock cart (nearly extinct).
Manufactories Jute mills 2. Besides, Chandpur has 397 medium manufactories and 1095 small manufactories.
Hats, bazars and fairs Total number of hats and bazars are 24, most noted of which are Baburhat, Mahamaya, Akhaner Hat, Shahtali, Chhoto Sundar, Chandra, Bhagra, Camranga and Safarmali; fairs 2, Mathkhola Shiva Bari Mela and Mahayamaya Mela.
Main exports Hilsa fish, shrimp, sugarcane and jute goods.
NGO activities Operationally important NGOs are BRAC, ASA, CARE, Save Our Life, Association for Muslim Advancement Network.
Health centres District Sadar hospital 1, charitable dispensary 1, upazila health complex 1, maternity 2, private hospital 2, family welfare centre 14, and heart disease hospital 1.