Dhaka Division is an
administrative division within Bangladesh. The capital and largest city is
Dhaka. The division covers an area of 31,119.97 sq, and has a population of
Dhaka Division bounds the Indian state of Meghalaya to the north, Barisal and Chittagong Divisions on the south, Sylhet Division to the east, Rajshahi and Khulna Divisions to the west.
Administrative divisions: Dhaka Division, formerly Dacca Division of East Pakistan province, consists of one City Corporation, 17 districts, 64 municipalities, 21 thanas, 119 Upazilas, 1239 union Parishad, 12765 Mouza, 549 wards, 1623 Mahallah and 25244 villages.
Main rivers of this division are Padma, Jamuna, Meghna, old Brahmaputra, Dhaleshwari, Shitalakshya, Brahmaputra, Buriganga, Arial khan.
Dhaka (Capital City) stands on the bank of the river Buriganga.
The districts are Dhaka, Gazipur, Narsingdi, Manikganj, Munshiganj, Narayanganj, Mymensingh, Sherpur, Jamalpur, Netrokona, Kishoreganj, Tangail, Faridpur, Madaripur, Shariatpur, Rajbari and Gopalganj.
Dhaka is the capital of Bangladesh. The city is known as the city of mosque, muslin and rickshaws. It has attracted travelers from far and near through ages. Having a happy blending of old and new architectural trends, Dhaka has been developing fast as a modern city and is throbbing with activities in all spheres of life. It is the center of industrial, commercial, cultural, educational and political activities for Bangladesh.
Main Tourist Spots in Dhaka Division:
Built in 1872 and standing on the river Buriganga, this stately building offers the visitors a feeling of the life-style of the Nawabs of Dhaka. Sometimes known as the Pink Palace, this building now houses a splendid museum.
Basically, it was the residence of the Nawabs. Nawab Abdul Gani renovated this building in the year 1872 and named it after his son Khaza Ahasanullah.
On the bank of river Buriganga in Dhaka the Pink majestic, Ahsan Manjil has been renovated and turned into a museum recently. It is an epitome of the nation's rich cultural heritage. Today's renovated Ahsan Manjil a monument of immense historical beauty.
It has 31 rooms with a huge dome atop which can be seen from miles around. It now has 23 galleries in 31 rooms displaying of traits, furniture and household articles and utensils used by the Nawab.
Open 9 am- 5 pm from Saturday to Wednesday and 3-5 pm on Friday. Thursday is close.
The fort of Aurangabad, popularly known as the Lalbagh Fort, was built in 1678 AD by the then Viceroy of Bengal Prince Mohammad Azam, son of the Moghal Emperor Aurangzeb. The fort has a three storied structure with slender minarets at the South Gate. It has many hidden passages and a mosque of massive structure. Outstanding among the monuments of the Lalbagh Fort are the Tomb of Pari Bibi (Fairy lady) and Audience room and Hummam Khana (bathing place) of Nawab Shaista Khan, now housing a museum.
The fort was the scene of bloody battle during the first war of independence (1857) when 260 spays stationed here backed by the people revolted against British forces. It is one of the great historical places of Moghal era. A small museum is there in this fort where you will find the clothes and weapons of the Moghal.
Lalbagh fort is in the old town of Dhaka at Lalbagh. It is open 10 am-5 pm Sunday to Friday & Saturday is closed.
The capital city Dhaka predominantly was a city of the Moghal. In hundred years of their vigorous rule successive Governors and princely Viceroys who ruled the province, adorned it with many noble monuments in the shape of magnificent places, mosques, tombs, fortifications and 'Katras' often surrounded with beautifully laid out gardens and pavilions. Among these, few have survived the ravages of time, aggressive tropical climate of the land and vandal hands of man.
But the finest specimen of this period is the Aurangabad Fort [commonly known as Lalbagh Fort], which indeed represents the unfulfilled dream of a Mughal Prince. It occupies the southwestern part of the old city, overlooking the Buriganga on whose northern bank it stands as a silent sentinel of the old city.
Rectangular in plan, it encloses an area of 1082' by 800' and in addition to its graceful lofty gateways on southeast and northeast corners and a subsidiary small unpretentious gateway on north, it also contains within its fortified perimeter a number of splendid monuments, surrounded by attractive garden. These are a small 3-domed mosque, the mausoleum of Bibi Pari the reputed daughter of Nawab Shaista Khan and the Hammam and Audience Hall of the Governor. The main purpose of this fort was to provide a defensive enclosure of the palatial edifices of the interior and as such was a type of palace-fortress rather than a siege fort.
Central Shahid Minar
Symbol of Bengali nationalism. This monument was built to commemorate the martyrs of the historic Language movement of 1952. Hundreds and thousands of people with floral wreaths and bouquet gather on 21 February every year to pay respect in a solemn atmosphere.
Pic: Central Shahid Minar
Bangladesh National Museum
Bangladesh national museum is situated in Shahbag. Located at the central point of the city. The museum contains a large number of interesting collections including sculptures and paintings of the Hindu, Buddhist and Muslim periods as well as inscriptions of the Holy Quran in Arabic and Persian letters and Bengali works in the Arabic script.
The museum also has a rich collection of old coins, metal images, books on art, silver filigree works etc. Though established in 1913 it was refurbished and opened in the year 1983. Its open from Friday to Wednesday, 9 am to 6 pm. Your mind must be going to the old era when you visit this museum.
Bangabandhu Memorial Museum
Bangabandhu memorial museum is situated at road no. 32 Dhanmondi R/A. The residence of the father of the nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman has been turn in to a museum. It contains rare collection of personal effects and photographs of his lifetime. This three- stored building as known as Bangabandhu Bhaban. This building turned in to a museum in year 1997. It's open 10am to 6pm from Thursday to Tuesday, Wednesday closed.
Mukti Juddha Museum
This is the museum on our liberation war which is well known as mukti juddha. Mukti juddha museum situated at Segun Bagicha of the city the museum contains rare photographs of liberation war and items used by the freedom fighters during the period. It's open 9am to 6pm from Monday to Saturday, Sunday closed.
The museum is modern learning center related to the latest science discoveries. It is situated at Agargaon.
Shadhinota Stambha is the place where Bangabondhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Delivered his historical speech on 7th march 1971. With his speech, Bangladeshi Nation got the enthusiasm for our great Liberation War in 1971. To recognize the historical memory, this Stambha was made.
National Poet's Graveyard
Revolutionary poet Kazi Nazrul Islam died on the 29 August 1976 and was buried here. The graveyard is adjacent to the Dhaka University Mosque.
Suhrawardy Uddyan (Garden)
A Popular Park. The oath of independence of Bangladesh was taken here and Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheik Mujibur Rahman gave clarion call for independence on this occasion on the 7th March 1971. The place is famous for its lush verdure and gentle breezes. Eternal Flame to enliven the memory of the martyrs of our Liberation war has been blown here recently.
Mausoleum of National Leaders
Its located at the southwestern corner of Suhrawardy Uddyan, it is the eternal resting place of great national leaders, Sher-e-Bangla A.K. Fazlul Haque, Hossain Shahid Suhrawardy and Khaja Nazimuddin.
The official residence of the President, located in the city. One can have an outside view of this grand palace.
Jatiya Sangsad Bhaban (Parliament House) located at Sher-e-Bangla Nagar has distinctive architectural features. Designed by the famous architect Louis I. Kahn, it may be called an architectural wonder of this region.
Pic: Parliament House
Ramna Park is a large park and recreation area situated at the heart of Dhaka, the capital city of Bangladesh. This park is one of the most beautiful areas in Dhaka with lots of trees and a lake near its center.
The history of Ramna starts about 1610 AD during Mughal rule, when the city of Dhaka was founded by Subehdar Islam Khan under Emperor Jahangir. At that time two beautiful residential areas were developed in the northern suburb of Dhaka city. New residential houses, gardens, mosques, tombs and temples were built in this area during that period. After the fall of the Mughal rule, Ramna gradually lost much of its glory. Ramna was then a barren area with bushes, abandoned or dilapidated buildings, tombs and old temples.
Ramna area began to regain its glory since 1825, when Mr. Dowes, a British collector of Dhaka initiated a series of steps for development of the city. Engaging convicts, he cleared up the bushes and demolished most tombs and monuments except the Ramna Kali Mandir. The old mosque and tomb that now stand by the western side of old High Court building were spared. The renovated area was given the name of Ramna Green and was fenced by a boundary for using it as a race course. In 1908 he began the work of a garden that took 20 years to take a shape.
The Nawabs of Dhaka developed the racecourse area as a beautiful garden and named a part of it as Shahbagh, the royal garden. The Nawabs also set up a zoo at Ramna. In 1851, the European civil servants established the Dhaka Club on the northern corner of the racecourse and after the Partition a good number of beautiful residential houses were built at Minto road area for the High Court judges and top bureaucrats.
After creation of Pakistan in 1947, Ramna area continued to occupy an important place in the history of Dhaka city. A new road from Shahbagh to the Eden Building was constructed and the eastern side of the road was developed as the Ramna Park. The miniature zoo with a few animals and different kinds of birds were still there at the northeastern side of the present Supreme Court building. The zoo was later shifted to its present location at Mirpur.
Ramna Park was officially inaugurated in 1949 with an area of 88.50 acres (358,100 m2) of land with 71 species of plants. The large open spaces on the southwest facing the lake were used for holding National Fairs and Exhibitions. In 1960, Queen Elizabeth II was accorded a rousing civic reception at the Ramna park with display of local fireworks. A raised concrete platform was built for the Queen, the remnants of which can still be seen in the park close to the lake.
The present shape of Ramna Park was drawn up in 1952 by Public Works Department of Bangladesh (former C&B Department)and the lake was excavated and extended. Narrow pathways were built by phases. To water the rare variety of saplings, deep tube well and a bud-shape water tower were built on the northern side. The park now covers an area of 68.50 acres (277,200 m2) of which the lake takes 8.76 acres (35,500 m2). Ramna Park now boasts with 71 species of flowering plant, 36 species fruit bearing plant, 33 species medicinal plant and 41 species of forestry and 11 other species. Walkways inside park have been widened and five new gates built for entry from different sides. The Park features lot of beautiful and modern venues for relaxation.
Institute of Arts and Crafts
Situated in the picturesque surroundings of Shahbagh. The Institute of Arts and Crafts has a representative collection of folk-art and paintings by artists of Bangladesh.
Beautiful architectural building named after Lord Curzon. It now houses the Science Faculty of Dhaka University.
(Bahadur Shah Park) Built to commemorate the martyrs of the first liberation war (1857-59) against British rule. It was here that the revolting sepoys and their civil compatriots were publicly hanged.
Old High Court Building
Originally built as the residence of the British Governor, it illustrates a happy blend of European and Mughal architecture.
Pic: Old High Court Building
National Zoo is in Mirpur, 20 km. from the center of Dhaka besides the river Turag. Its open 10 am – 5 pm, 7 days a week, where you can see the animals of Bangladesh and some animals from abroad. This Zoo is also popularly known as Mirpur Zoo. Colorful and attractive collections of different local and foreign species of animals and birds including the majestic Royal Bengal Tiger are available here.
Botanical Garden is also situated in Mirpur just besides the National Zoo, built on an area of 205 acres of land.
Approximately 50,000 plants and trees are there of 1200 species. Main attraction of this garden is rose garden. Approximately 300 species of roses are there in this garden. It is open 7 days a week. If you go to this garden, it is advisable you visit National Zoo at a same time.
Baldha Garden is established in old Dhaka named Wari, the unique creation of the late Narendra Narayan Roy, the property owner of Baldha; the year of establishment of this garden was on 1904. This garden has a rich collection of indigenous and exotic plants, which is one of the most exciting attractions for naturalists and tourists. A number of varieties tree are there in this garden. Near about 18,000 plants of 800 species are there in the garden. It is open from 8:00 am-5:00 pm, 7 days a week.
A very beautiful mosque of the city is situated at Mahuttuly on Abul Khairat Rd; just west of Armanitola Govt. High School. Architecturally faultless (Mughal style) is a five-dome mosque with hundreds of big and small twinkling stars as surface decorations.
The stars have been created by setting pieces of chinaware on white cement. Seen from the front and from far it looks as if shining above the surface of the earth. The inside of it is even more beautiful that the outside, lovely mosaic floor and excellent tiles with many floral patterns set on the walls, are all in complete harmony.
The sitara Masjid was built originally with three domes in early 18th century by Mirza Ghulam Pir, a highly respectable Zamindar of Dhaka.
Baitul Mukarram Mosque
Baitul Mukarram Mosque is situated at Purana Paltan east of Bangladesh Secretariat and north of Dhaka Stadium. Largest Mosque in the city, three storied and built after the pattern of the Kaba Sharif. Very beautiful and costly decorations in the interior. Long lawn, garden and rows of fountains to the south and east. The mosque is on a very high platform. Lovely flights of stairs lead to it; from the south, east and north. On the east is a vast veranda, which is also used for prayer and Eid congregation. Below in the ground floor is a shopping center.Dhaka is a city of mosques. Other Prominent Mosques are the seven Domed Mosque (17th century), Star Mosque (18th century), Chawkbazar Mosque and Huseni Dalan Mosque.
Dhakeshwari Temple (11th Century) situated at the place where the old part of Dhaka meets the new part. This is the oldest Hindu temple in Dhaka City. The name Dhakeshwari is also associated with the origin of the name Dhaka.
Pic: Dhakeshwari Temple
Armenian Church (1781 A.D.) St. Mary's Cathedral at Ramna, Church of Bangladesh or former Holy Rosary Church (1677A.D.) at Tejgaon.
Outside site Dhaka City:
Mosque of Baba Adam
Of a slightly later date, the elegant 6-domed mosque (43'x36') of Baba Adam in Rampal near Dhaka was erected by one Malik Kafur during the reign of the last llyas Shahi Sultan, Jalauddin Fateh Shah in 1483 A.D. It displays the same characteristic features of the period such as the faceted octagonal turrets at 4 corners, the curved cornice, the facade and 3 mihrabs relieved richly with beautiful terracotta floral and hanging patterns.
On the Dhaka-Chittagong highway about 29 km from Dhaka, Sonargaon is one of the oldest capitals of Bengal. It was the seat of Deva Dynasty until the 13th century. From that century onward till the advent of the Mughals, Sonargaon was the subsidiary capital of the Sultanate of Bengal.
The City of Panam
Another name of Sonargaon was "The City of Panam". Now, the relies of uildings of the old dynasties, Goaldia Mosque and the Folklore Museum that houses artifacts from every cultural trait of the country increase the attractions of this place.At Jainal Abedin Museum in Sonargaon, you will find some
Historical and archeological things.
Among the ancient monuments still intact are the Tomb of Sultan Ghiasuddin (1399-1409 A. D), the shrines of Panjpirs and Shah Abdul Alia and a beautiful mosque in Goaldi villaae.
National Martyrs Memorial
National Martyrs Memorial is situated in Nabinagar, Savar approximately 35 km from Dhaka. The memorial designed by architect Moinul Hossain is dedicated to the sacred memory of the millions of unknown martyrs of the war of liberation.
This Martyrs Memorial is a symbol of Bengali nationalism. It is really a scenic beauty of 108 acre of land. The top of this monument is 150 ft. high, which consists other 07 triangular monuments. Its open 07 days a week besides this monument you can enjoy your foods in Parjatan restaurant opposite of memorial gate.
Bhawal National Park-Gazipur
Bhawal National Park is in Gazipur district 45 km far from Dhaka in the north side. It is a vast (1,600 acres) national recreational forest with Picnic spots; jangles of Gajari trees surrounded by a beautiful lake .you can enjoy boats horse riding here. Especially in the winter, season lots of picnic party enjoy their day in this park.
Jamuna Bridge is 110 km from Dhaka on the River Jamuna. This bridge is 4.8 km long and it is the 11th largest bridge in this world. It is a real beauty at nights when sodium lights lighten the bridge. Some beautiful resorts have already been established near the bridge to encourage tourists in this area.
Ansar-VDP Academy-Kaliakoir, Gazipur
The Ansar-VDP Academy, located at Shafipur, Gazipur on Dhaka-Tangail highway is about 50 km away from the capital city. It is the apex training institute of the Organization covering 359 acres of land with excellent picturesque beauty.
To impart proper training to the Ansar & VDP members, NATIONAL TRAINING CENTRE (NTC) was established in 1970. In 1983 it was renamed as ANSAR TRAINING SCHOOL (ATS), in 1986 as ANSAR ACADEMY and finally in 1995 as ANSAR-VDP ACADEMY. The academy is capable of imparting training to 5000 trainees at a time.
Tungipara, Bangabandhu Mausoleum Complex-Gopalganj
It is 144 km far from Dhaka. Here is the graveyard of great Sheikh Mujibur Rahman the father of our nation who was killed in the year 1975, 15th August.
Modhupur Picnic Spot
Modhupur picnic spot is 155 km from Dhaka and is of great historical importance. It is a forest park where lots of picnic party comes in winter season.
Other Picnic Spots: There are good picnic spots in the area around Savar and Mirzapur. Other beauty spots connected by road with Dhaka include Joydevpur, Sripur, Madhupur, Rajendrapur National Park, Chandra and Salna, all of which have rest houses that can be used by tourists on request to the Forest Department. Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation owns two picnic spots with Bunglows at Chandra and Salna, which can also be hired by tourists.
Susang Durgapur is 182 km from Dhaka, a real natural beauty of forest river & hills area where the Garos and other tribal live. You can also enjoy boating in the river. Wild Elephant some times comes from forest. But going to Susang Durgapur is a real troublesome for the tourists due to the location and communication problem in this area. It is advisable only to go there in winter season.
Gajni Parjatan Center-Sherpur
Gajni Parjatan Center is 220 km far from Dhaka. Where you will find the natural beauty of hills, lakes, forest & lots of birds here, it is a natural tourist spot where you can see the tribal life of our tribes. You can enjoy boating in the lake and also there is a natural waterfall what you will like to watch. If you are lucky, enough you can see the wild elephants in the forest.
Other attractions in and around Dhaka include the Institute of Arts and Crafts with its representative collection of folk art and paintings, handicraft shops.
Aparajeya Bangla monument, picnic spots at Chandra and Salna, cruising by country boat in the nearby river or a visit to a village to see jute cultivation, weaving and pottery making.
Travel by a horse driven cart or rickshaw along busy Dhaka streets is also a rewarding experience.