Rajshahi Division (Bengali:
রাজশাহী বিভাগ) is one of the seven administrative divisions of Bangladesh. It
has a population of almost 30 million and area of about 34,513 km≤. Rajshahi
division consists of 8 districts, 70 Upazilas (the next lower administrative
tier) and 1,092 Unions (the lowest administrative tier). This division is
characterized by its cheap labour force. It has an excellent rail and road
communication infrastructure. The divisional city Rajshahi is only four hours
road journey away from Dhaka, the capital city. However, recently a new division
has been curved out of Rajshahi Division namely Rangpur Division. So the given
area and population will definitely decrease in the division.
Rajshahi division is in the mid western corner of Bangladesh. The famous river Padma borders Rajshahi division on the south and another famous river, Jamuna, lies across the eastern border. In the West, Rajshahi division shares a border with India.
The major cities of Rajshahi division are Rajshahi, Bogra and Pabna. Rajshahi has an airport, with daily flights to Dhaka.
The major educational institute in Rajshahi is University of Rajshahi (RU), Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology (RUET), Rajshahi Medical College (RMC), Shaheed Ziaur Rahman Medical College-Bogra. Pabna Medical College-Pabna, Rajshahi College, Azizul Haq College-Bogra. Edward College-Pabna.(Under National University), Pabna University of Science and Technology. University of Rajshahi (Estd.1953) is the second largest university of Bangladesh with around 50 disciplines and 6 institutes. RUET is only Engineering institute in northern part of Bangladesh. It was founded in 1964 as a faculty of Engineering under the University of Rajshahi providing four year bachelor degree in Civil, Electrical & Electronics and Mechanical Engineering. In July 1986, it was converted into an institution named Bangladesh Institute of Technology, Rajshahi (BITR). Finally, parliament passed the University bill that ultimately paved the way to commence the activities of Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology (RUET). Department of Computer Science and Engineering first introduced in 1998. Department of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering and Industrial and Production Engineering were introduced in 2005.
Varendra Research Museum, the oldest museum of this region.
Chalan Beel as seen from the highway besides.
Rajshahi is a well known tourist destination within Bangladesh, with there being many interesting landmarks.
Notable places includes:
Sompur Bihar, a large Buddhist monastery.
Barendra Research Museum in Rajshahi is one of the foremost museums specializing in history of ancient Bengal.
Mohasthangar, home to archeological sites of Hindu, Buddhist and Muslim periods.
Puthia Temple Complex and Palaces, the palaces of old Jamidars, some
Kilometers drive from Rajshahi city.
Bagha Mosque, in Bagha thana of Rajshahi District.
Dighapatia Palace, palace of the famous Queen of Dighapatia, located in Natore district.
Kushumba Mosque, Naogaon.
Shona Mosque, Chapai Nawabgonj
Chalan Beel, the largest water body in Bangladesh, spreading in Natore and Pabna districts.
Rajshahi is well-known for its fruit, particularly for mango and lichi. Rajshahi also produces a lot of vegetables like carrot and onion.
Rajshahi division is also famous for production of high quality and tender beef and mutton, as well as other dairy produce. Rajshahi is still an unexplored area for the establishment of poultry hatchery and fish grow-outs and fish processing.
Arani is the municipality of Rajshahi.Arani is famous for Pagla babar Asram (Hindu Temple).
Main Remarkable Spots in Rajshahi Division:
Mohasthangarh is one of the main attractions in north Bengal. It was the capital of Kingdom of the Mourjo, the Gupta and the Sen Dynasty.
This is the ancient archeological and historical which was, established in 2500 BC. It is the oldest archaeological site of Bangladesh is on the western bank of river Karatoa 18 km. north of Bogra town beside Bogra-Rangpur Road. The spectacular site is an imposing landmark in the area having a fortified, oblong enclosure measuring 5000 ft. by 4500 ft. with an average height of 15 ft. from the surrounding paddy fields. Beyond the fortified area, other ancient ruins fan out within a semicircle of about five miles radius. Several isolated mounds, the local names of which are Govinda Bhita Temple, Khodai Pathar Mound, Mankalir Kunda, Parasuramer Bedi, Jiyat Kunda etc. surround the fortified city.
This 3rd century archaeological site is still held to be of great sanctity by the Hindus. Every year (mid-April) and once in every 12 years (December) thousands of Hindu devotees join the bathing ceremony on the bank of river Karatoa.
A visit to Mahasthangarh site museum will open up for you wide variety of antiquities, ranging from terracotta objects to gold ornaments and coins recovered from the site. Now it is one of the major tourist spots maintained by Bangladesh archeological Department.
You can go to Mohasthanagar from Bogra town, 10 km. away. Don't forget to visit Mohasthangar museum while visiting Mohasthangar. Mohasthan Buddhist Stambho is another attraction for the tourists; it is locally called as Behula's Basar.
Shaheed Chandu Stadium [Bogra]
Shaheed Chandu Stadium, previously know as Bogra Divisional Stadium, is a stadium located in northwestern side of Bogra district, Bangladesh. A swimming pool and a theme park is in front of it. In the left there is a big farm and in the north there was slaughter house but that has recently closed. Its pitch and ground is very suitable to play. It became a Test cricket venue on 8 March 2006, when it hosted a Test match between Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. It has a capacity of 34,000. It last International game played was Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe in 2006 and has been playiong domestic matches ever since.
Bogra Cantonment [Bogra]
Bogra Cantonment is a cantonment located in Bogra, a northern district of Bangladesh. Among the 16 other cantonments of the Military of Bangladesh Bogra Cantonment is very important. The Armoured Corps Center & School (ACC&S), and the Non Commissioned Officers Academy of Bangladesh Armed Forces are situated in Bogra Cantonment. The GOC of Bogra Cantonment is Major General Md. Zia-ur-Rahman ,ndc,psc.
Shaheed Ziaur Rahman Medical College [Bogra]
Shaheed Ziaur Rahman Medical College located in Bogra town, was established in 1992. It offers 5-year medical education course leading to MBBS. One-year internship after graduation is compulsory for all graduates. The college is affiliated to the University of Rajshahi, and the degree is recognized by the Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council
Shaheed Ziaur Rahman Medical College was established in 1992. Fist of all it has started as a medical college collaborating with Mohammad Ali Hospital, Bogra. About 125 students get admission every year after passing admission test. The college was named on the basis of Saheed President Ziaur Rahman who was born at Bogra. Initially it was Bogra medical college. in 1995 some students take a dish antenna (satellite recevier) from local MP. He insisted to change the name of Bogra Medical college to Shaheed Zia Ur rahman Medical College. It is one of the beautiful campus among the medical colleges in Bangladesh.
The college has all the major branches of medical education including Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Community Medicine, Pharmacology, Forensic Medicine, Pathology, Medicine, Surgery, Cardiology, Nephrology, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology, Anesthesiology, Dentistry, Blood transfusion, Radiology, and Obstetrics and Gynecology. Principal is the administrative head of the institution. The other sanctioned posts for faculty and staff members are one Vice-Principal, 12 Professors, 19 Associate Professors, 12 Assistant Professors, 2 Curators, 30 Lecturers, 2 Pathologists, one Biochemist, and one Pharmacist. In addition to one Health Educator and one Secretary/ Administrative Officer, there are about 161 technicians, laboratory assistants and auxiliary staff to run the administrative and academic programmes of the college.
Paharpur Buddhist Monastery [JAIPURHAT]
Paharpur Buddhist Monastery is another tourist attraction of North Bengal. Paharpur is a small village 5 km. west of Jamalganj in the greater Rajshahi district. You can go to Paharpur from Jaipurhat district. Its only 10 km from Jaipurhat.
King Dharma Pal established Paharpur Buddhist Monastery in 7th century, which is the most important and the largest known monastery south of the Himalayas, has been excavated. The main Mandir is in the center of this Monastery. This 7th century archaeological find covers approximately an area of 27 acres of land.
The entire establishment, occupying a quadrangular court, measuring more than 900 ft. externally on each side, has high enclosure- walls about 16 ft. in thickness and from 12 ft. to 15 ft. height. With elaborate gateway complex on the north, there are 45 cells on the north and 44 in each of the other three sides with a total number of 177 rooms. The architecture of the pyramidal cruciform temple is profoundly influenced by those of South-East Asia, especially Myanmar and Java.
A small site-Museum built in 1956-57 houses the representative collection of objects recovered from the area, where you can see the statues of Buddha and Vishnu. The excavated findings have also been preserved at the Varendra Research Museum at Rajshahi. The antiquities of the museum include terracotta plaques, images of different gods and goddesses, potteries, coins, inscriptions, ornamental bricks and other minor clay objects.
Bara Sona Mosque,Gaur-Lakhnauti [Chapainawabganj]
Bara Sona Mosque is the largest mosque in Gaur-Lakhnauti, the capital of Sultanate Bengal, and it marks the culmination of Sultanate architecture in Bengal. In contrast to its namesake, the chhota sona mosque, perhaps the most perfect edifice of the kind in ornamentation, the Bara Sona is sombre. Also, being more than double in size, it has a majesty unmatched by any other mosque of the country. The builder of this mosque is still unknown. The inscription dated 932 AH (1526 AD), which Major Franklin discovered near the mosque at the beginning of the last century, is often believed to refer to as that of the mosque itself, ie, it was built by Sultan Nasiruddin nusrat shah.
But the recent discovery of another inscription in the debris just outside the mosque to its northwest corner appears to negate the view. The latter inscription (now preserved in the Maldah State Museum) speaks of a gateway constructed by Nusrat Shah in 930 AH (1523 AD). Since this inscription was found close to the site and very near the mosque, the ruins must be of the grand gateway of the mosque.
It precedes the date of Franklin's inscription by two to three years, which seems almost an impossibility, since the gate could not have been constructed prior to the building of the mosque itself, as the tradition is that the gateway of such an edifice is constructed after the completion of the main structure. Moreover, the style of the mosque is in mark contrast to that of the bagha mosque, built by Nusrat Shah, which is decorated in almost all its parts with terracotta ornaments in conformity with the Islamic concept of horror vacui. The Bara Sona is plain and almost devoid of ornamentation except perhaps the mihrabs, which being the most important part could be imagined to have been decorated profusely like all other mosques, but are now all not to be seen.
The Bara Sona has close resemblance in general appearance with the Chhota Sona built by a wali of Alauddin husain shah, perhaps during the early part of his reign. The similarity between the two mosques, and the contents of the recently discovered inscription which suggests a date of 1523 AD imply that the mosque in all probability was constructed during the last years of the reign of Alauddin Husain Shah, who during the later part of his reign founded a city named Buzurg Husaynabad to the north and northwest of the original city near Ramkeli. The city, probably unfinished, has now vanished, but could one of its symbols, the Jami Mosque, point to this mosque, built in conformity with the power and dignity of a sultan who was not only a king but also the Commander of the Faithful by 'deed and testimony'?
On stylistic ground the date of the dhakhil darwaza has also been attributed to this Sultan. The mosque is generally known as a baraduari for having twelve doors. This is perhaps an expression of greatness in size. Abid Ali explains it in a different way by saying that 'the name 'Baraduari', ordinarily meaning 'an audience hall', was given to the mosque on account of the spacious courtyard in front of the mosque'.
The mosque is a rectangular building, brick faced with stone, and measures 51.20m by 23.15m with the usual octagonal towers at the corners. In front there is a spacious veranda, running north south, with eleven pointed arched doorways in front, and one on each of the sides for entrance. The mosque is three aisles deep with three additional entrances on the north and south sides, having thus a total of forty-four domes built on pendentives carried by spacious rectangular columns. At present, only the domes of the veranda and the lateral walls of the mosque remain. On the northwest corner of the mosque, there was once a royal gallery covering an area of four bays with four domes above. Like all other mosques, the entrance to the gallery was from outside. The mihrabs of the mosque, corresponding to the eleven doorways, are now all dilapidated.
The mosque has two gateways, still surviving, to its east and north, making space for an open courtyard in front. The gateways are similar, having a vaulted passage through the middle, and correspond to a roof, curvilinear in form, to that of the main building.
The simplicity of the building has not been satisfactorily explained. But a comparison with larger monuments of the medieval period in the Indian subcontinent may offer a clue to its composition. It appears that in Indo-Muslim architecture 'beauty' and 'fineness' went in general with smaller creations. The larger the building, the greater was the simplicity. 'Majesty' and 'overwork' did not always go together, and the masons of the Bara Sona had clearly such a vision in mind. Moreover, if the mosque was the work of the later part of Husain Shah's reign, the impact of the simple life of an older person must also have inspired the design.
Chhota Sona Mosque, Gaur-Lakhnauti [Chapainawabganj]
Chhota Sona Mosque sometimes described as a 'gem of Sultanate architecture' is situated about 3 kilometres due south of kotwali darwaza and half a kilometre to the southeast of the tahkhana complex in the Firuzpur Quarters of gaur-Lakhnauti, the capital of Sultanate Bengal. It occupies the western end of the southern bank of a large tank. A little to the west of the mosque is a modern two-storied Guest House, built several years ago by the Department of Archaeology and Museums, Government of Bangladesh. In between the Guest House and the mosque there runs north-south a modern road, which appears to have been of earlier origins, connecting the main city of Gaur-Lakhnauti with its suburb to the south through the Kotwali Darwaza.
An inscription tablet still fixed over the central doorway records that the mosque was built by one Majlis-i-Majalis Majlis Mansur Wali Muhammad bin Ali. The letters in the inscription, giving the exact date of construction, have been obliterated. But the name of Sultan Alauddin husain shah in the inscription suggests that the mosque must have been built sometime during his rule (1494 -1519 AD).
The mosque is one of the best-preserved Sultanate monuments under the protection of the Department of Archaeology and Museums, Government of Bangladesh. The gilding employed in the ornamentation that has given the building its appellation Chhota Sona Masjid (Little Golden Mosque) does not exist now. An outer wall originally surrounded the mosque premise, which covers an area of 42m from east to west and 43m. from north to south, with a gateway in the middle of the east side. Leaving only the gateway, the entire surrounding wall has completely disappeared, but its trace can still be clearly detected at places. A barbed wire fencing has now been erected in line with the original enclosure wall. Local people report that near the gateway, there was originally a stepped masonry ghat with approaches from the south.
Built of brick and stone, the mosque proper forms a rectangle. It has an outside dimension of 25.1m from north to south and 15.9m from east to west. All four walls are veneered externally and to some extent also internally with granite stone blocks. The stone facings on the southern side of the west wall have disappeared because of conservation works after its destruction by the great earthquake of 1897. The four exterior angles of the building are strengthened with polygonal towers, of which nine facets are visible. There is a rectangular projection in the centre of the exterior face of the back wall corresponding to the central mihrab. The cornices are bow-curved and have stone gutters to drain off the rainwater from the roof.
There are five doorways in the eastern facade and three each on the north and south walls. Corresponding to the archways in the east wall there are five semi-circular mihrabs inside the west wall. The stones of most of these mirabs are now gone making the entire west wall bare, although at one time they constituted the most beautiful part of the Mosque.
The interior of the mosque, measuring 21.2m by 12.2m. is divided into three north - south aisles by two rows of stone pillars, four in each row. A wide central nave has cut the aisles into two equal halves, each half showing six equal square units of 3.5 m a side. The interior of the mosque has therefore a total of fifteen units, of which the three rectangular units are covered with chauchala vaults, and each of the remaining twelve square units by an inverted tumbler-shaped dome. They are all carried on radiating arches that spring from the free standing stone pillars and the engaged pilasters. But the upper corners in between the arches of the units are filled with corbelled brick pendentives to make up the transitional phase for the domes. At the northwest corner of the mosque there is a royal gallery forming an upper floor that is still standing, albeit in a dilapidated condition. It was approached from the northwest corner of the Mosque through a stepped platform connected with a doorway. The gallery has a mihrab in front.
The gateway of the surrounding outer wall in the east, now thoroughly renovated, is 7.6m long and 2.4m wide, which is in alignment with the central doorway of the mosque proper. The entire gateway was originally veneered with stone, but is now painted in stone-colour.
Stone carving, brick setting, terracotta gilding and glazed tiles were used in decorating the building, and of them the first one plays the dominant role. All fifteen domes and vaults over the roof, as witnessed by Creighton and cunningham, were gilded, but no traces of gilding now remain. The subject-matters of the stone carving were chosen according to the demand of the spaces, eg, the borders of the panels with creepers and their interior with various forms of stylized hanging patterns adopted from the chain and bell of the Hindu period. The spandrels of arches and the spaces above the frames have always been dotted with rosettes, an attractive form of design, but all carved differently. The interior of the domes and vaults are decorated with terracottas, those of the vaults being copies of the bamboo frames of local huts. The most noticeable form of ornamentation is the stone moulding encircling the corner towers. This constitutes the cornices and the lines above the doorways and frames. It should be noted that all the frontal archways and those of the mihrabs were all cusped, giving additional beauty to the monument.
The gateway in the east, like that of the mosque, was at one time veneered with stone-slabs carved with varieties of designs. But these designs have now mostly disappeared leaving a few boldly projected rosettes here and there.
At a distance of 14.5m to the east of the gateway is a stone platform measuring 4.2m north - south and 6.2m east - west. It is 1 m high and has a stone column to each of its four angles. Over the platform are two tomb-sarcophagi with their longer axis in the north - south alignment. Both consist of rectangular stepped terraces of black stone diminishing upwards and a top stone of simple pointed barrel-form containing verses from the Qur'an and some names of God. It is not clear who lies buried here. Cunningham suggests these to have been the tombs of Wali Muhammad, the builder of the Mosque, and his father Ali.
On the southeast corner within the mosque premise are two modern graves, enclosed by a 1.3m high brick wall, 4.1m from north to south and 4.7m from east to west. These two graves belong to Captain Mohiuddin Jahangir (d 14 December 1971) and Major Nazmul Hoque Tulu (d 27 September 1971), who died fighting against the Pakistani Army near Nawabganj town during the Bangladesh war of liberation.
The glamour of Chhota Sona Masjid has now diminished, but it still remains the most attractive monument of Gaur-Lakhnauti and the most desired spot for visitors to the area.
Darasbari Madrasa, Gaur [Chapainawabganj]
Darasbari Madrasa is situated about a kilometre to the southwest of kotwali darwaza, and about half a kilometre from the Chhota Sona - Kotwali Road in Ghoshpur mauza of the Bangladesh side of Gaur-Lakhnawti. It has been erected between two tanks, one on its east and the other on its west; the latter is longer and separates the madrasa from the darasbari mosque.
The madrasa, according to the inscription, was erected in 909 AH (1504 AD) by Alauddin husain shah. However, its existence was revealed only in the seventies of the 20th century when the site was excavated and the plan fully exposed. Its discovery has removed the confusion between the location of the madrasa and that of the belbari madrasa, erected two years earlier. The madrasa is square in plan, each side measuring 55.50m. It consists of forty rooms, each measuring 3m a side, constructed around an open courtyard measuring 41.5 m square. The mosque attached to this madrasa is in the middle of the west-side rooms which are a little larger than the others, measuring 4.9m a side.
The identification has been made by the existence of three mihrabs on the west wall. The mosque had three gateways, one each on the middle of the east, north and south sides. There are the ruins of a structure in the middle of the courtyard. Its identity is uncertain but it could be a library-cum-lecture hall or a large ornamental pool with a spouting jet inside. The decoration of the madrasa building was carried out structurally in offsets and insets of the walls, and facially entirely in terracotta and in brace-mouldings.
A huge collection of terracotta plaques found during excavation (1973-75) is now preserved in a room of the Guest House, Directorate of Archaeology, near the chhota sona mosque.
The discovery of the madrasa is significant. It is the lone example of this architectural form from medieval Bengal and demonstrates the development of the present dormitory style through the earlier Buddhist Viharas discovered in mainamati, paharpur, and elsewhere.
Rajshahi University [Rajshahi]
Rajshahi University or University of Rajshahi a public university located in Rajshahi, a city in north-western Bangladesh. Rajshahi University was established in 1953, the second university to be established in what was then East Pakistan.
The university's forty-seven departments are organized into nine faculties. Rajshahi University is located in a 753 acres (3 km2) campus in Motihar, 3 kilometers (2 mi) from the Rajshahi city centre. With 25,000 students and close to 1000 academic staff, it is one of the largest universities in Bangladesh. In addition to hosting programs in the Engineering, arts, sciences, agriculture, social sciences, business studies and medical sciences, the university houses a number of institutes of higher studies. This is the premier university in Bangladesh to have online subscription of world renowned journals.
The Bagha Mosque [Rajshahi]
The Bagha Mosque is located at Bagha, 25 miles southeast of Rajshahi in Bangladesh. It was established in 1523 by Nashrat Shah, an independent Sultan of Bengal. The mosque is depicted on the 50 Taka note of Bangladesh. The mosque was built of brick on the bank of a tank and is surrounded by a brick wall. The mosque is known for its ornate terracotta ornamentation.
Varendra Research Museum [RAJSHAHI]
Situated at Rajshahi, this museum has a rich collection of objects of Mohenjodaro and also of 16th to 19th century A.D. This is devoted to the study of ancient history and culture. Its rich collections contain interesting objects of past Hindu, Buddhist and Muslim heritage. It is located at the heart of Rajshahi town and maintained by Rajshahi University authority. The year of its formal establishment is 1910 A.D. Admission is free.
Puthia has the largest number of historically important Hindu structures in Bangladesh. The most amazing of the village's monuments is the Govinda Temple, which was erected between 1823 and 1895 by one of the maharanis of the Puthia estate. It's a large square structure crowned by a set of miniature ornamental towers. It's covered by incredibly intricate designs in terracotta depicting scenes from Hindu epics, which give it the appearance of having been draped by a huge red oriental carpet
The ornate Siva Temple is an imposing and excellent example of the five-spire Hindu style of temple architecture common in northern India. The ornate temple has three tapering tiers topped by four spires. It's decorated with stone carvings and sculptural works, which unfortunately were disfigured during the War of Liberation. The village's 16-century Jagannath Temple is one of the finest examples of a hut-shaped temple: measuring only 5m (16ft) on each side, it features a single tapering tower, which rises to a height of 10m (33ft). Its western facade is adorned with terracotta panels of geometric design.
Puthia is 23km (14mi) east of Rajshahi and 16km (10mi) west of Natore.
Rani Bhabani Rajbari [Natore]
Rani Bhabani (Born in Bogra District, Bhabani was married off to Raja Ramkanta, then zamindar of Rajshahi. After his death, Bhabani became the de jure zamindar, and started being referred to as Rani, meaning queen. A woman as a zamindar was extremely rare in those days, but Rani Bhabani managed the vast Rajshahi zamindari most efficiently and effectively for over four decades. Holwell, an English writer, speculated that the stipulated annual rent of the estate to the crown was 7 million rupees, the real revenues being about 15 million. However, what made Rani Bhabani a household name among the common people was her philanthropy and general generosity, combined with an austere personal life. The number of temples, guesthouses and roads she constructed across Bengal is believed to be in the hundreds. She also built numerous water tanks, alleviating the acute water problem of her subjects. She was also interested in the spread of education and donated generously to many educational institutes. During the era of Rani Bhabani, she might have made some great contributions for the development and renovation of Bhabanipur temple. The deity or Goddess of Ma Tara of the Bhabanipur Temple is probably named after Rani Bhabani. Bhabanipur is a shakti-peeth which is located at Sherpur Upazila of Bogra District.Rani Bhabaniís house in Natore remains a main tourist attraction in Bangladesh to date.She was a great social worker. She was the pioneer to spread education for the women of Bengal. It is a historical palace, situated in the Bongojol area in the Natore district town. There is a college, a school, and other institutions named for Rani Bhobani.
Dighapatiya Rajbari [Natore]
Dighapatiya Rajbari is the most popular sight with visitors. The kings of Natore lived here. Today, it is called Uttara Gano Bhaban (is a mansion in Natore, Bangladesh. It is used as the Prime Ministerís local residence and office in the northern region of Bangladesh.), and is one of the official residences of the president of Bangladesh. It is situated in large grounds, with decorative gates, a large garden, and hundreds of rooms. There is a pond and a sculpture here. It is 5 km from Natore district town.
Cholon Bil is a large natural wetland and known to every Bangladeshi. During the monsoon, the area of the Bil increases and touches four Upazilas (sub-districts) of the Natore district. The picnic parties come to Cholon Bil every season. They cook, sing, dance, and do everything they wish in their boats.
It looks like a sea, especially during the monsoon. In the monsoon season, the Bil behaves like a naughty boy. During that time, waves hurt the land frequently. Visiting Cholon Bil during monsoon season is not only a mere travel, but also an adventure.
Kushumba Mosque [Naogaon]
Kushumba Mosque is an ancient mosque situated at Manda Upazila, besides the west coast of Atrai River in Naogaon District. It was established during 1958-59, at the period of Afghan regime of Sura emperor Giyasuddin Bahadur Shah. The mosque is also known as Banglar Kalo Rotno or Bengal's Black Pearl. It followed the archeological structure of Bengal.
A man named Sulayman established Kushumba Mosque. He was thought to be high-rank government servant during the Sura regime. The basic foundation of the mosque is structured with bricks.
Qadirabad Cantonment, Dayarampur [Natore]
Engineer Centre & School of Military Engineering is located in the north-western part of the country at Qadirabad Cantonment in Dayarampur under Natore District. The postal address is: Engineer Centre and School of Military Engineering
Qadirabad Cantonment, Dayarampur , Natore 6413, Bangladesh
Natore is the nearest place connected with Dhaka by direct bus service, which is 28 km away from the institution. From Natore, the institution is connected by local bus. By Rail. Natore is also linked with Dhaka by rail. Intercity trains travel through Natore. By Air. Rajshahi is the nearest Airport from ECSME, which is 96 km away from the institution and travel time is two hours by road. National Carrier and private airline operate everyday in Dhaka-Rajshahi-Dhaka route.
Bangladesh Sugarcane Research Institute (BSRI)-Pabna
Bangladesh Sugarcane Research Institute (BSRI) is one of the oldest research institutes of Bangladesh conducting research on sugarcane Ė the raw material sugar, gur and cane juice. Sugarcane is the only dependable cash crop in the low rainfall belt of the north-west and south-west parts of Bangladesh. Based on sugarcane, the sugar and gur industries of Bangladesh have developed in the country.
According to the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), every individual needs to consume 13Kg of sugar or 17Kg of gur per annum. In Bangladesh the quantity is still less than 3Kg per person. With the projected population of 153.33 million in the year 2020, the requirement of sugar will be 9.2 hundred thousand metric ton even if we consider the intake of 6Kg per person per year. At present, 7.3 million ton sugarcane is produced from 0.18 million hectares (roughly 0.1 million hectares in sugar mill zones and 0.08 million hectares in non-mill zones for gur production) of land per year. The yield of sugarcane is 40.52 ton/hectare (46 ton/ha in sugar mill areas and 36 ton/ha in gur areas). To meet the demand of sugar and gur, 11.1 million tons of sugarcane needs to be produced per year. As such the yield of sugarcane must be increased from its present level to at least 65 tons per hectare.
BSRI is proud to serve the nation attaining self reliance in the sugar and gur sector with its limited resource and manpower. Two basic functions are performed by this institute: a) Development of sugarcane variety as well as improved production technology and b) Dissemination of varieties and technologies to the farming community. Research wings consist of eight research divisions, one quarantine station and two regional stations, whereas Technology Transfer (TT) wing consists of two major divisions, six substations and three sections. The Technology Transfer wing generally conducts training for farmers, extension workers, etc. and conducts demonstrations in the farmersí fields disseminate the messages through different form of publications, and collects feedback information.
Bangladesh Sugarcane Research Institute (BSRI)
Ishurdi, Pabna, Bangladesh
Police Academy, Sarda,Charghat, [Rajshahi]
Police Academy, Sardah is a hundred year old, luminous and prestigious police training institute, which was established in 1912 at a place named- Sardah at Charghat police station in Rajshahi district. The mighty & beautiful river- Padma flows beside it dividing the Bengal into the East and the West. Major H. Chamney was the founder principal of this historic Police Academy. In the very beginning of the nineteenth century there was a police training school at Mill-Barrack in Dhaka. In 1902 police commission recommended
To establish a provincial Police Training College for Assam and Bengal. Under the direction of this Commission the Police Training School was upgraded into a Police Training College. After this development the number of the trainees increased profusely, beyond the physical and training capacity. On this backdrop, the concerned authority was thinking to replace this Police Training College at some other suitable site. Major Chamney, who was appointed the Principal of the proposed College, was looking for a suitable site. During that time while on a steamer voyage from Dhaka to Kolkata, his steamer happened to stop at Charghat steamer station. The present site of the Academy with its excellent geo- natural location and the then shadowy canopy of giant rain trees, mango grooves, wood-land, stillness and the mighty river Padma running by enthralled him. With this charm in his mind Mr. Chamney shared his feelings and observations with the government. On his recommendation the site with an area of 142.66 acres of land was purchased by the Govt. at a cost of TK.25000/- from its owner Medinipur Zamindari Estate.
The institution styled as Sardah Police Training Center was opened in July, 1912. The existing buildings and hutments of the indigo planters, once headquarters of 152 Nilkutis of Rajshahi region, solved the immediate accommodation problem. But the area was full of dense jungles with ferocious animals like tigers and leopards constantly harassing the villagers. Movements at nights were particularly hazardous.
A campaign for killing them started. A good number of hunters were employed to clear this and adjoining areas. Of the hunters, renowned for their acts of marksmanship and courage, the names of Mr. Abbas Ali Sikari, are still fresh in the minds of the local people. As the area was known for tigers and leopards in those days, it was called Sher-Dah meaning the village of tigers . Sardah is its distorted version. In another myth it is told that to save some area around the place Sardah from the attack and invasion of Maratan Pirates Nabab Murshid Kuli Khan and Nabab Alibardi Khan settled some camps of their troops at Sardah. Sardah means, here, the biggest village
After August 1947 the institution became the only Training College for all the P.S.P Officers of the then Pakistan and for all the Police officers and other ranks of its Eastern Wing. In 1964 the institution was re-named Police Academy, Sardah.
The 142.66 acres of land of Police Academy,Sardah is not only crowned with the grandeur of marvelous natural beauty and smell, it is also proud of accommodating various magnificent installations like- Parade ground, Princialís Bunglow, Vice Principalís Bunglow, Bunglows of two SPs, Administrative Building, Academic Building, Officersí Mess, ASP (probitionery) Dormitory, Trainee SI & Constablesí Dormitory, VIP Guest House, Chamney Memorial Auditorium, a Hospital and a Mosque.
Now, an officer of the rank of The Deputy Inspector General of police becomes the Principal of this prestigious Police Academy.
1. Basic Course & Duration:
a. ASP (Probationary) 12 months
b.Outside Cadet Sub Inspector 12 months
c. Departmental Cadet Sub Inspector 06 months
d. Sergeants 06 months
e. Recruit Constables 06 months
f. Regular Constables 06 months
g. Rider (Constables) 06 months
h. Drummers (Constables) 06 months
2. Refreshers Course & Duration:
a. Junior Staff Course (Departmental promotee ASP) 04 weeks
b. Preliminary Staff Course (Inspector Unarmed) 06 weeks
c. Preliminary Staff Course (Inspector Armed) 06 weeks
d. SI (Unarmed) 08 weeks
e. SI (Armed) 08 weeks
f. Sergeant / TSI-08 weeks
g. ASI 08 weeks
h. Head Constable (Unarmed) 08 weeks
i. Head Constable (Armed)-08 weeks
3. Specialized Course & Duration:
a. Training of Trainersí Course 24 days
b. Section Leadersí Course (Head Constable Ė Armed) 04 months
c. Course of reproductive health and gender issue 15 days
d. NSI & Railway Security Course (sent by the Ministry of Home Affairs) 06 months
Rajshahi Cadet College [Rajshahi]
Motto: Rabbi Zidni Ilma
Location: Sardah, Rajshahi
Established: 11 February, 1966
Demonym: Shahi cadets
Area: 110 acres (0.45 km2)
Number of Houses: 03
Qasim House Named after Muhammad-Bin-Qasim;
Motto: Work is Strength
Logo: Arabian Horse
Colour: Navy Blue
Tariq House Named after Tariq-bin-Ziad
Motto: Truth is Beautiful
Khalid House Named after Khalid-bin-Walid
Motto: Knowledge is Power
Rajshahi Cadet College is a military high school, located in Sardah, Rajshahi.
The college was initially named as Ayub Cadet College (ACC). It was established in 1966 during the Pakistan period. Pakistani dictator and self-proclaimed Field Marshal Ayub Khan named the institution by his own name and laid the foundation stone. East Pakistan Governor Munaim Khan, a collaborator of the Pakistan occupation army who was later assassinated by the valiant freedom fighters in 1971, inaugurated the college. The name was changed after Bangladesh obtained independence, and it is now known as Rajshahi Cadet College (RCC). Late Wing Commander (Retd) Mohammad Syed PAF was the founding Principal of the college who joined on November 1, 1965.The first Accounts Officer of the College was Late Gholam Mustafa on deputation from Pakistan Audit and Accounts Service, and the father of cadet Gholam Mujtaba. The first Adjutant to join was Capt. Khaled Adib (Punjab) on February 2, 1968. Mr. M Saleh Uddin Sinha joined as the first teacher of the college. It was the last among four cadet colleges established during the Pakistani colonial period in East Pakistan. It is situated by the bank of river Padma at Mukhtarpur village of Sardah in Charghat of Rajshahi district of the northern region of Bangladesh. The first Bangalee Principal of the college (third Principal) appointed on January 1, 1970 was Mr. M. Bakiatullah who played a glorious role in the war of independence of Bangladesh. Many teachers, students and other staff of the college, including Shaheed AB Siddiqui Bir Bikram (BB), laid down their lives for the freedom of the country. Eight (8) cadets and ten (10) staff embraced martydom while four (4) staff of the college still remain missing. The first Bangalee Adjutant of the college (third Adjutant) was Capt. MA Rashid (FF) who joined on September 23, 1970. Capt. Rashid Bir Bikram (later Colonel; awarded death penalty in the abortive coup that killed President Ziaur Rahman Bir Uttam at Chittagong in 1981) led and inspired many cadets to join the Bangladesh independence war in 1971. The college founding day is celebrated every year on February 11.
Rajshahi Medical College [Rajshahi]
A handful number of enthusiastic and philanthropic people started a Medical School in Rajshahi city in 1954. A four year course was started leading to diploma called LMF (Licentiate of Medical Faculty) offered by the State Medical Faculty, Dhaka. A total of eighty students were admitted in the very first year of its inception. In 1954, the then East Pakistan Government converted it into a government Institute, Rajshahi Medical School.
Later on, the government decided to start a five year course leading to MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) degree and as such in 1958 Rajshahi Medical School emerged as Rajshahi Medical College. At the beginning, the Medical College was housed in a small building of the Barendra Museum. It was later shifted to the present college building. Forty two native and two foreign students were admitted in the first batch.
Since then, the college has been continuing its steady progress. The number of admitted students is now increased to 175 which is equal in 8 old government medical colleges of Bangladesh. Foreign students of SAARC countries are being admitted in this Institution every year. Other hospitals situated in the city like Infectious Disease Hospital founded in 1962, Hospital for Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases founded in 1966, Leprosy Control Center founded in 1968 are all affiliated with this college. A Nuclear Medicine Center was also established within the campus in 1970. Following the war of liberation in 1971, the Medical College and hospital have made considerable improvements in many aspects such as extension of the college buildings, student's accommodation, number of hospital beds, and establishment of a modern Auditorium etc. There has been addition of new departments like Coronary Care Unit, Nephrology, Neurosurgery, Radiotherapy and Gastroenterology. Recently the hospital is equipped with CT scan, MRI, angiogram and renal haemodialysis machine. There have been a few recent additions in the College too like establishment of a beautiful mosque at the college premises, modernization and beautification of college main gate and premises, extension of the conference room with modern audio-visual facilities. At present besides undergraduate MBBS and BDS courses, postgraduate MD, MS, M.Phil, MPH and Diploma degrees are being awarded in 18 disciplines at Rajshahi Medical College. Already a handful number of successful doctors have achieved their postgraduate degrees from this college and working in various field of their specialization with good reputation.
Rajshahi Medical College
Bangladesh Sericulture Institute [Rajshahi]
Bangladesh Sericulture Research & Training Institute (BSRTI) was established in 3rd January 1962 under the then East Pakistan Small and Cottage Industries Corporation (EPSCIC).
In 1978 it was brought under the control of Bangladesh Sericulture Board (BSB).
On 9 July 2003 this Institution was separated from BSB and established as an independent Research & Training Organization under the Ministry of Textiles and Jute.
Location : Rajshahi City, Bangladesh.
Land Area : 52.2 acres.
There are 125 approved posts of officers and staff in the present organ gram of BSRTI, which includes only 41 posts of scientists.
Bangladesh Sericulture Research
and Training Institute (BSRTI)
Rajshahi - 6100, Bangladesh