Rangpur Division became
Bangladesh's seventh division on January 25, 2010. Before that, it had been a
district under the Rajshahi division. The Rangpur division consists of eight
districts: Rangpur, Dinajpur, Kurigram, Gaibandha, Nilphamari, Panchagarh,
Thakurgaon, and Lalmonirhat. There are 58 Upazilas or subdistrics under these
eight districts. Rangpur is the northernmost division of Bangladesh and has a
population of 13.8 million.
The major cities of this new division are Rangpur and Dinajpur. Rangpur has well-known educational institutions, such as Carmichael College, Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science and Technology University, Rangpur Medical College, Rangpur Cadet College, and Begum Rokeya University
Rangpur town is the divisional headquarter. The soil composition is mainly alluvial soil (80%) of the Tista River basin, and the remaining is brained soil. The temperature ranges from 32 degrees Celsius to 11 degrees Celsius, and the annual rainfall averages 2931 mm.
Main Attraction in Rangpur Division:-
Ghughu-danga Zamindar Bari [Dinajpur]
Ghughu-danga Zamindar Bari was the official residential palace and seat of the Ghughu-danga Zamindar Family. It is situated on the banks of the Purnovoba River in Dinajpur. The palace was now destroyed by attacking the Pakistani soldiers in 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War . It was constructed in the Indo-Saracenic Revival architecture.
Kantajees Temple [Dinajpur]
Kantajees Temple is in Dinajpur district. It is the most ornate among the late medieval temples of Bangladesh is the Kantajees temple near Dinajpur town, which was established in the year 1722 by Ram Nath, son of Maharaja Pran Nath .
The temple, a 51' square three storied edifice, rests on a slightly curved raised plinth of sandstone blocks, believed to have been quarried from the ruins of the ancient city of Bangarh near Gangharampur in West Bengal. It was originally a navaratna temple, crowned with four richly ornamental corner towers on two stores and a central one over the third stored.
Unfortunately these ornate towers collapsed during an earthquake at the end of the 19th century. ln spite of this, the monument rightly claims to bathe finest extant example of its type in brick and terracotta, built by Bengali artisans. The central cells is surrounded on all sides by a covered verandah, each pierced by three entrances, which are separated by equally ornate dwarf brick pillars, Corresponding to the three delicately cusped entrances of the balcony, the sanctum has also three richly decorated arched openings on each face.
Every inch of the temple surface is beautifully embellished with exquisite terracotta plaques, representing flora fauna, geometric motifs, mythological scenes and an astonishing array of contemporary social scenes and favorite pastimes. The beautiful wall paints of this temple tell us the story of Ramayan-Mohabharat, Krishna-Lila and Dev-Devies.
Ramsagor is known as country’s largest and most beautiful lake which is only six kilometer south from Dinajpur town.
The lake is surrounded by red colour soil ( lalmati) highlands, parks, gardens, many sculptures of animals and birds. There is also speedboat facility here as well as fishing facilities in the lake also a great adventure. It is a magnificent site and you wouldn’t want to miss it if you eyes one stuck at its beauty.
The area around the Ramsagar Lake is a popular picnic spot for both locals and tourists that enhanced the peaceful impression of being close watch to natural world.
Brief history of Ramsagor Between 1750 and 1755 the Ramsagor was built by a kind Hindu king Ram Nath and the big lake was named in honour Ram Nath. During that century, the region was ruled by 11 kings lead by Shukh Dev. Among them Pran Nath and Ram Nath were the best and innovative. During their ruling, huge palaces, temples etc. were built and lakes were dug for public interest.
The water reservoir Ramsagor was made to provide local inhabitants with safe drinking water. Its construction was initiated by king Ram Nath involving lakhs of people’s labour.
State-owned Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation, which manages many tourism projects in Bangladesh, has developed some visitor facilities around the lake, such as rest-rooms, picnic corners and refreshment arenas as well as playgrounds for children to enjoy. Popular activities in the area including fishing, boating and hiking are also advantage.
The lake is populated by a plenty of fish, as well as fresh water crocodiles, while visitors can enjoy enormous wildlife and adventure opportunities to see on land including Deer, Chitra Deer, Bear and other magnificent animals.
Different types of birds like Sand Piper, Ringed Plover and Grey and Purple Herons. In winter huge number of migratory/guest birds visits this lake which is a source of recreation of visitors.
There was a ghat (stairs) on the middle part of the western bank and the remains of it still exist. Made of sandstone slabs of different sizes, the structure measured about 45.8m by 18.3m. The tank is surrounded by 10.75m high embankments.
More than two lakh visitors visits the Ramsagor tourist spot all the year round while the entry fees is Tk only 5.00 per person.
Ramsagar National Park: The suitable time to visit the Ramsagor is between October and March.
Shopnopuri is a famous Artificial Place in Bangladesh. It is in Dinajpur district which about 100 acres. Shopnopuri beautify by many rides. This place take you a dream world.
Shopnopuri is one of the most beautiful artificial tourist spot in North Bengal. You can go there either from Hili or from Dinajpur. There you can enjoy your full day watching this artificial beauty.
You can spend night also In Shopnopuri rest house but for that you will have to book in advance. It is an idle Picnic spot also where lots of picnic parties come every year.
Accommodation Facility :
Nil Pori Rest House -300/=
Rajani gondha Rest House – 400/=
Chadni Rest House – 500/=
Nishi Podmo – 1500/=
Shondha Tara Rest House – 1000/= ( non A/c )
Shondha Tara Rest House – 1500/= ( A/c )
Rest House - 1000/=
Special Room – 1200/=
Contact : Mijanur Rahman ( G.M ) – 01712134095.
How To Go There :
Dinajpur to FullBari - by Mail Bus – 40/= ( per head )
Fullbari to Shopno puri – by Auto Rickshaw – reserve – 120-150/=
by Auto Rickshaw - per head – 20/=
Dinajpur Rajbari [Dinajpur]
Dinajpur Rajbari now in ruins, is situated on the north-east outskirts of the present town. Originally enclosed within defensive moats and high rampart, the derelict remains of the Dinajpur Rajbari, can now be approached through a tall arched gate facing west. Inside the palace precinct near the gateway on left is a painted Krisna temple and on right, some ruined outhouses and another inner gateway that provides access to an inner square court. Facing the courtyard on the east is a flat-roofed temple, the front verandah of which is supported on four semi-Corinthian pillars and another set of columns carry the roof of the main hall.
Pitiable wreckage of the palace is now a collection of abandoned brick- buildings in an advanced stage of disintegration. The palace remains consist mainly of three groups of Mahals (blocks), known as Aina Mahal, Rani Mahal and Thakurbadi Mahal, besides other accessory buildings, erected by various Rajas and Zamindars at different times. A number of temples, rest houses, charitable dispensaries, tanks and sundry residential quarters of employees and retainers were also built within the palace area. All these building occupy an area of 16.41 acres of land including two large tanks on the east and south, the moat, garden, a defunct zoo, a tennis court, Katchary and the Kumar House. The main mahals and the enclosing moats seem to have been constructed by Maharaja
Prannath and his adopted son Ramnath in the 18th century. It was built in the strange mixture of European, Muslim and Hindu styles and did not depict a very good taste. Two parallel moats called Ramdanga, which surrounded the palace on all sides, were probably dug by Ramnath after the invasion of his palace by sayed ahmed khan, the Faujdar of Rangpur under alivardi khan.
The imposing two-storeyed main palace facing east, now largely pulled down, was known as the Aina Mahal (Mirror Place) though now no trace of any glass mosaic remains on any part of the survived edifice or in its crumbling rubble. The eastern facade, about 45.72m wide has a 3.05m wide verandah above, projected prominently.
On either side of the balcony a broad spiral staircase leads up to the upper storey. The front projection of the upper floor has a series of elegant Ionic columns in pairs with round shafts. The parapet on top is plain except a short rectangular panel, rising slightly above the parapet level containing within an insignia of royalty depicting two confronting elephants holding a crown in relief. The floors of this block were flagged with black and white marble stones while ceiling gilded with stucco patterns noticeable especially in its Durbar Hall, Jalsa Hall, Toshakhana and the library.
Behind the main palace block on the west are the two-storeyed square block of Rani Mahal and the Thakurbadi Mahal. These once beautiful edifices, have now been thoroughly stripped off their costly relies, fitting fixtures and other belongings.
Tin Bigha Corridor [Lalmonirhat]
The Tin Bigha Corridor is a strip of land formerly belonging to India on the West Bengal–Bangladesh border which has been leased indefinitely to Bangladesh so that it can access its Dahagram–Angarpota enclaves, one of the Indo-Bangladesh enclaves.
Teen is three in Bengali, and bigha is a unit of area roughly 1,500 to 6,771 square meters. There is ongoing dispute regarding use of this land by anti-India forces and illegal immigrants to cross over into India which Bangladesh vehemently denies. This Corridor was formally transferred to Bangladesh on June 26, 1992.
DAHA GRAM SITMAHAL-[LALMONIRHAT]
This is the historical daha gram sit mahal under patgram upazila in lalmonirhat districts
Uttara Export Processing Zone [Nilphamari]
Shongalshi, Nilphamari. 18 kms from Syedpur Airport, 401 kms from Dhaka,
650 kms from Chittagong Port, 586 Kms from Mongla Sea Port.
Profile Of Zone :
Zone area: 93.20 hectares (230.21 acres)
Number of industrial plots : 155 (first phase)
Size of each plot : 2000 sqm.
Tariff : US $ 1.00 / sqm / year.
Space of Standard Factory Building : 18000 sqm.
Tariff US $ 1.25 /sqm /month.
Utility Services :
Water Supply : Own water supply system.
Tariff : Tk. 18.47 / cu-m.
Gas Supply : From Gas Transmission Company Ltd.
Tariff : Tk. 5.76 / cu-m.
Power Supply : 11 kv, 3 phase, 50 cycles / sec.
Tariff : Tk. 4.18 / kwh.
(Utilities will be charged at the current rate of US $)
Contact Person :General Manager
Contract Address :
Uttara Export Processing Zone
Tajhat Palace [Rangpur]
Tajhat Rajbari (Tajhat Palacein Rangpur). A grand old mansion, somewhat run-down and no longer used by anyone. It was used a few years ago as a district court. The surrounding grounds are a popular picnic spot and recreation park.
Rangpur Medical College [Rangpur]
Rangpur Medical College has been established in 1970 with a 500-bed teaching hospital. The first batch of 100 students were admitted to Rangpur Medical College, affiliated with Rajshahi University, in 1971. Currently, the yearly intake has been increased to one hundred and fifty. Each year ten seats are fixed specially for international students of South Asian countries such as India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan and Maldives. The medical college is running with several other affiliated teaching hospitals in addition to its own. These are the infectious disease hospital, hospital for tuberculosis and chest disease, and the district hospital of Kurigram including six thana health complexes in rural settings. New inclusions since 1991 are the nuclear medicine centre, coronary care unit, diarrhoeal disease control and training unit, neuromedicine, neurosurgery, paediatric surgery, radiotherapy, physical medicine department, and burn unit. The General Medical Council of the United Kingdom has recognized the graduates of this college with effect from 1st January 1996. Currently running Rp-37 batch. Recently Rp-32 batch completed internship training.
Rangpur Cadet College [Rangpur]
Rangpur Cadet College is Located in the district named Rangpur. The college is established in a sound and quiet environment outside the main city in a suburban area. It’s 5 km south to the main town, and situated beside the Dhaka-Rangpur highway.
The surrounding green environment has a nice panoramic view. Long trees made the place more attractive. . There is a canal which passing through the campus. The sun set scene is very appealing. Students enjoy the environment much. Far away from the busy city life all get an opportunity to think and build themselves as the nation builders of tomorrow.
The infrastructure is very organized. As a Cadet College it fulfills the entire criterion. For its size, the institute is well planned. The links from the Academic Building to Houses, Dining Hall, Mosque and an Auditorium is unique. Following are the main features of the campus:
* Main Academic Building.
* Residential Houses for Cadets.
* An Auditorium named Birsreshto Mostafa Auditorium.
* A Dining Hall named Birsreshto Motiur Dining Hall.
* A Mosque.
Front View of Rangpur Cadet College
* A Hospital named Birsreshto Nur Mohammad Hospital.
* Three Basic playgrounds(Football/Cricket/Athletics).
* Five Basketball Ground.
* Eight Volleyball Ground.
* Three House Gardens.
* A Cadets Canteen and a Barber shop.
* Residential area for teachers and other college staff.
Carmichael College [Rangpur]
Carmichael College, Rangpur named after Lord Carmichael, Governor of Bengal, was established in 1916. Some leading Zamindar of Rangpur played an important role in its establishment.
They collected Rs 750,000 for the construction of the college complex on 300 acres (121 ha) of land. Dr Watkins, a German citizen, was its founder principal. The college building, 610 feet in length and 60 feet in breadth, is a unique monument of zamindari architecture in Bengal, which reflected a nostalgic attachment of the Bengal aristocracy to Mughal architecture.
Carmichael College was affiliated with calcutta university and was permitted to open intermediate of arts and bachelor of arts classes in 1917 and intermediate of science and bachelor of science classes in 1922 and 1925. Up to 1947, thirteen subjects were taught at the college. After the Partition of Bengal in 1947, it was affiliated with the university of dhaka and in 1953, with the newly established university of rajshahi. The government of East Pakistan nationalised the college on 1 July 1963. It remained under Rajshahi University up to 1992 and later, came under the jurisdiction of the national university. At present, it is a postgraduate college offering courses in 14 subjects in the faculties of arts, social science, science and commerce.
Shyampur Sugar Mills [Rangpur]
Shyampur Sugar Mills a Bangladesh sugar mill. It was started in 1967 by the Pakistan government. At that time East Pakistan has only 5 sugar mills. It is situated at Shyampur under Badargonj police station, 16 kilometer western from Rangpur City. Shyampur Sugar Mills Rules under Bangladesh Sugar and Food Industries corporation. The industry have over 1400 labors. The livelihood of the people of the region totally depend upon this industry.
An amusement park and resort in Rangpur, with all its natural beauties and amenities is a place for your recreations.
People say, One who has not seen Vinnya Jagat has not seen the beauties of North Bengal.
Indeed the vast land with green grass, trees, flowers, curving lake all around and the walking strips are exceptional and wonderful. Singing and flying birds are the charms in the morning.
In such a fantastic natural environment the Giant Giraffe, Dinosaur, Dragon, Planetarium, Merry-go-round, Nagardola etc. become the real attractions for children, family and your friends.
Vinnya Jagat provides you the facilities of a modern hotel to stay overnights and a Conference Hall absolutely suitable for holding seminars or conference.
Visit your Vinnya Jagat, a real nice place to see.
Rangpur: Vinnay Jagat
Tel: 0521-89020, 62560,
Cell: 01734-107471, 01912-134010
House # 131 (2nd floor), Road # 04,
Block # A, Banani, Dhaka.
Cell: 01912134062, 01912134002
Banglabanda Zero Point-Tetulia-[Panchagarh]
Banglabanda land port is located in about 10 acres of acquired land at the north-western tip of Bangladesh in Tetulia under Panchagarh district on the Bangladesh-India highway. The place is of international character and used for Nepal transit traffic passing through a small corridor of India. It is about 22 meter away from the Bangladesh-Indian borderline.
Location: Among the active LCSs in the country, Banglabanda is the most important one, because of its geographical location. Banglabandha land port is the corner-most point of the north- western region of the country; about 57 km north of Panchagarh district headquarter, 5 km from Shiliguri and 10 km from Jalpaiguri town of west Bengal in India. Darjeeling is 58 km away while Nepalese border transit point Kankorvita is 61 km away. The Bhutanese border is only 68 km away from Banglabandha point. That is why this port offers an enormous potential not only for boosting sub- regional trade but also for promoting tourism.
Opportunities: Highway road is available from Panchagarh to Banglabandha land port and the distance is about 6okm to reach the port site. At present, different types of goods such as fertilizer, jute, medical equipment, plastic material, readymade garments, electrical goods, textile, computer and parts, machinery, army goods, chemicals, tea, pulses, rice, onion, apple, marble slab, live animals and miscellaneous are exported and imported through this port.
The Indian exporters are now using Hilli and Burimari land Ports to export their goods to Bangladesh. It is expected that Bangladesh, India, Nepal and Bhutan will prefer to use Banglabandha for international trade and commerce.
Moreover, people interested to travel Darjeeling, one of the most attractive tourist places of India, Himalayan Kingdom of Nepal and Bhutan would prefer to travel through this route after establishing immigration facilities at this land port.
The government also feels encouraged to take initiative to develop a land port at Banglabandha as landlocked Nepal showed interest in using Mongla port for import their goods from other countries. Bangladesh gives discount on port charges for Nepal- bound goods.
However, a 52-km road over the Indian Territory links Banglabandha land port with Kakorvita border point in the Himalayan kingdom Nepal.
India allows only two hours a day for using the road as transit for transporting goods between Bangladesh and Nepal.
Mirzapur Jame Mosque,Mirzapur,Atwari [Panchagarh]
Mirzapur Jamei Mosque is situated in Mirzapur of Atwari in Panchagarh, at a distance of about 6km from Atwari on the Atwari - Panchagarh road. A Persian inscription on the eastern wall of the mosque records its repair and renovation by one Shaikh Malikuddin in 1252 BS (1831 AD), but no one knows its date of construction. Recently the mosque has undergone thorough renovation by the Department of Archaeology, Bangladesh. There are two old graves to the south of the mosque and to its northeastern corner stands an old well.
The three domed mosque has an open courtyard (17m / 14m) on its east, with boundary walls all around. The courtyard can be entered through a gateway-room in the middle of the eastern side. The room, which measures externally 4.12m / 2.12m with 0.60m thick wall, is covered over with a chau-chala roof.
The mosque is rectangular (externally 13m / 5.40m) with three entrance archways on the east and there are three mihrabs inside on the west, in alignment with the entrances. The central entrance and the central mihrab are larger than the flanking ones, which are of same size and height. There is an arched window in the middle of both the south and north walls. There are four corner towers in the outer corners of the mosque. The domes are placed on drums and in the phase of transition for the domes squinches along with pendentives have been used. The cornice is straight.
The walls are plastered with panel decoration outside; terracotta plaques having floral and creeper motifs are fixed inside the panels. The three eastern arched entrances have projected half-canopy like covering on the top. The mihrab projection in the middle of the western wall has similar covering. The southern and northern arched windows also show do-chala eaves on top. The walls outside are now whitewashed and the terracotta plaques are painted red creating a very colorful exterior.
Chaprajhar Mosque, Atwari, [Panchagarh]
Chaprajhar mosque, is in Paharvanga village, on the west of Atwari upazila of Panchagarh district. As of the Mughal architecture, this mosque has three doom and four small sized minarets on it, with terracotta arts on some parts of it's walls. The dooms has round and sketched belts on them. The mosque has a wide brick build compound, with an arch at the entrance. This arch has the similarity in its design/structure, as of Mirzapore Jamei Mosque.
Chaprajhar mosque is 25 foot wide and 15 foot width. At present, the height of this mosque reduced a lot due to subside. As mentioned on its name plate, this mosque was build by a person named Shahad Mondol, in hijre 1300.
From the design and its structure, it is assumed, this mosque was build during the Mughal period. As this mosque is nearby the Mirzapore Jamei Mosque, both of them was seized by earthquakes. And for the damages Mirzapore Jamei Mosque was repaired, but Chaprajhar Mosque was never repaired (until 2009 A.D.) for its damages. For the similarity and design of the both mosques, it is assumed that, the architecture, engineers and makers of Mirzapore Jamei Mosque, was included during the build of Chaprajhar Mosque.
Solthori Mosque, Atwari, [Panchagarh]
Solthori Mosque, is in middle of Atwari - Boda road and on the border of Atwari and Thakurgaon Upazila. This mosque is considered as the oldest mosque of the district. The mosque is a similar copy of the dome mosque of Mugrapara of Sonargaon in Narayanganj district of Bangladesh, which was build during the Sultani period, in 1478.
Softhori Mosque was build by Sudharu Saha. No information was found about its construction time, but for its design and structure, it is considered that Solthori Mosque was build during the Sultani period.
Squire sized Solthori Mosque has only 12 foot width walls, with no principal place for the Imam. Hence the height of the entrance gate is very low, the musollis needs to lower their head to enter inside the mosque. And only 5 people can pray together once. North and South side walls has 2 small doors, and has squire panel on the walls. All four walls are connected with four round minarets. East and west side walls does not have panels on the walls. The wide compound of the front has an arch. The arch has changed its real look for time to time constructions or changes. Also the walls was designed with flower and leafs.
For earthquake, Solthori Mosque subsided a lot, but was constructed recently (in 2007).
Kazi & Kazi Tea Estate,Tetulia-[Panchagarh]
Kazi & Kazi Tea, the first organic tea garden in Bangladesh, located in Panchagarh, are the untouched lands of Tetulia. Kazi & Kazi Tea Estate (KKTE) acquired this beautiful, scenic garden in 2000, & introduced a forefront concept that was transforming the way tea was perceived. They launched an organic farming methodology - the first in the nation.
The family-owned enterprise, which was founded by Kazi Shahid Ahmed, fused the old, tea-producing traditions with the new & created a process that although unexplored, was nonetheless beneficial for both the company and the community. The family, who believes in a natural and holistic form of living, situated this as their foundation. Dr. Kazi Anis Ahmed, son of Kazi Shahid Ahmed, said, `We dont see that theres an alternative! As the only organic tea producer in Bangladesh, the company now manufactures bio-fertilizers and bio-pesticides on-site, a practice that various tea associations, including the Bangladesh Tea Board, recognize as the healthiest and safest option.
In a country inundated with over 150 tea gardens, Kazi & Kazi Tea realized their commitment & vision needed to establish a new, useful concept; one that not only served the companys purpose, but also benefited the community. Having the resources and ambition, the company now needed to determine their framework, and how they wanted to function.
Many of the social services created by the company, which include cattle rearing, organic farming awareness, safe hygiene distribution, health and recreation & adult education, are geared to raise the awareness and participation of organic farming among farmers, sellers, and consumers, & to alleviate poverty levels. These programs provide a healthy and progressive environment for all those involved. Kazi & Kazi Tea went as far as to recruit a batch of management trainees and offer them the option of becoming stakeholders. The laborers worked not only for a fixed salary or wage, but with the ability to take over small plots in which they could cultivate and experiment. Dr. Ahmed has high expectations, stating, `In the long run, we would be happy to try to extend similar stake holding to our workers, & become the first tea garden, or perhaps company in Bangladesh to have such a widely shared stake in an enterprise. The project is still relatively young to pinpoint its success, but the outlook is promising.
Progress of Kazi & Kazi can be measured in many ways; the most definite way is through their research and the methods they use to implement their learning. With Kazi & Kazi Tea, this means their ability to apply their knowledge in new, unique ways. Once they have created the necessary programs, the results need to be reviewed and improved upon. It is not enough to simply provide the assistance, the company needs to respond and elevate the working conditions.
According to Dr. Ahmed, the company is in the process of developing their own research center based on their own findings and practices. `We are now setting up a small research center called the Institute of Sustainable Development (ISD) in association with another affiliate, the University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh, to do original research not only on organic farming, but alternative, holistic models of living and development. The company hopes that ISD will link them to international scholars and scientists to attend a broader perspective.
Aligned with their aspirations and future is Kazi & Kazi Teas product line, which is the final point & determinant of the companys efforts. Meena Tea, which was introduced in 2003 as the first organic tea produced in Bangladesh. The liquors golden color and strength in flavor are the distinguished characteristics of the tea. In following suite with this successful brand, the company is looking to launch a small quantity of tea in packet loose leaf and tea bags, which will be sold though their affiliated organic outlet Meena Bazaar in Dhaka City, and other outlets or retailers. `We are also in the process of installing machines to produce organic green tea by early next year. These branded packets will be the first single-estate, pure organic tea marketed in the country, since their economy does not support such practices that wish to reduce the use of poly or plastic materials. Kazi & Kazi Tea is trying to package their products using jute bags and hand-made rough-hewn tea chests. `All of this is a unique and unprecedented effort in this market.
The companys objective goes hand in hand with their actions, and they are dedicated to maintaining high standards and ensuring superior quality. They are very hopeful about their future, and with their successful venture into organic tea, they have every reason to be. `Please remember, that while our vision is large and optimistic, we are a very, very young garden - only five years - and some goals are necessarily far off, but we are so energized, that much of it is already initiated, said Dr. Ahmed. Although the company is not doing any direct exports yet, they were able to sell their tea at Harrods in London in 2004, which has shown interest in continuing to carry the product for later 2005.
KAZI & KAZI TEA ESTATE LIMITED.
House 44, Road 27 (Old), 16 (New)
Dhanmondi, Dhaka-1209, Bangladesh
Rowshanpur, P.S.: Tetulia, Dist: Panchagarh, Bangladesh
579, Beri Badh, Ramchandrapur
Mohammadpur, Dhaka-1207, Bangladesh
Tetulia Tea Garden [Panchagarh]
Tetulia Tea is named for the region in northern Bangladesh, located in Tetulia. The company was established in 2000.
Tetulia is the only tea garden in Bangladesh to be USDA certified organic garden.
The garden sprang forth from virgin land nestled against the Himalayas to the north to the Brahmaputra and Ganges rivers to the South. Into this perfect tea-growing land, Tetulia Tea has introduced strong, vibrant saplings, which were planted with care in the new millennium.
With the producing organic tea, Tetulia Tea has the mission is to sustain the land and the people while producing top-quality tea. Established on virgin soil and grown following Masanobu Fukuoka natural farming' method.
In the motto of rebuilding the local ecosystem, their cooperative has established revolutionary education, health and cattle-lending programs for the people working in the garden and surrounding areas in Tetulia.
Panchagarh Sugar Mills Limited [Panchagarh]
Panchagarh Sugar Mills Limited is the oldest industry of the district. The factory is situated in Panchagarh Sadar.
Panchagarh Sugar Mills was set up by the Government in 1965-69 at a cost of Tk.55.55 million. It is near the district Head Quarter of Panchagarh and is the northern most sugar mill in Bangladesh. Machinery and equipment of the sugar mill were supplied by M/S. Stork Werkspoor of Holland. The sugar mill started its trial production in 1969-70. Since independence of Bangladesh (until 2005), the sugar mill has produced 8,536 m. tons of Sugar per annum on average at an average sugar recovery rate of 8.10% from sugarcane.
Highest sugar production was 16,612 m. tons in 1994-95. There are about 31,000 acres of cane-cultivable land in the mill-zone of Panchagarh Sugar Mill of which 10,500 acres per annum on average is brought under sugarcane cultivation.
Name of the Company :Panchagarh Sugar Mills Ltd.
Factory Address :Panchagarh Sadar, Panchagarh, Bangladesh
Year of Establishment :1969
Date of Incorporation Registration :20 July 1970
Date of Commencement of Production :1969-70
Date of Placement under Corporation :President Order No. 27 of 1972
Status :Public Limited Company
History of the Company :Panchagarh Sugar Mills Ltd. was established in the year 1970 under the erstwhile EPIDC and owned by the Government
Operational Structure :Name of Product
1. Sugar-10,160 MT.
2. Molasses (By-Product)-Molasess-4,500 MT.
Human Resources :
i) Board of Directors
ii) General Manager
iii) Divisional Manager
Shareholders :Govt. of Peoples Republic of Bangladesh / BSFI 100%
Sector :Bangladesh Sugar and Food Industries Corporation - Sugar and Food Sector.
Regulatory Environment :State Owned Enterprise, regulated by Companies Act 1913.
Current Status :Running
Total land area (198.46 acres) :
Total Factory:40.00 acres
Residential Area:26.00 acres
Experimental Farm:110.85 acres
Cane Purchase Centre:21.61 acres
Land (Commercial Farm)-Nil
(2001-2002)-- 12390 M. Tones
(2002-2003)-- 9708 M. Tones
(2003-2004)-- 8011 M. Tones
(2004-2005)-- 7030 M. Tones
(2005-2006)-- 10105 M. Tones
Panchagarh Rocks Museum [Panchagarh]
The Panchagarh Rocks Museum, in Panchagarh Government Mohila College, is the first rocks museum in Bangladesh, set up at the initiative of Nazmul Haque, Principal of the College, in 1997. Nazmul Haque, principal of Panchagarh Government Mohila College, discovered the rocks and founded an educational institution based museum on March 1, 1997. The Deputy Commissioner, Panchagarh, A.F.M. Saiful Islam formally inaugurated the museum on October 25, 1997.
The rocks museum was set up here due to the congenial geo-graphical atmosphere at the food of the Himalayan Mountains and the Zoological characteristics of this area different from the other parts of Bangladesh. The Stones of the "Tertiary periods" extending from 1.6 million to 60 million years have been found in the districts of Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling in India adjacent to Panchagarh district. The stone made tools and other materials of the "Neolithic age are discovered in the areas of "Badamtam", "Dongrabosti", "Kalimpong", "Puddong", " Sindidong" in Darjeeling, A huge number of specified Rocks was also found in Panchagarh district.
The museum is divided into two parts, external and internal. In the external gallery has a huge number of rocks; and in the internal gallery, there are small stones of different ages. The samples of old architecture of this region are reflected in the traits or ethnical characteristics of this region.
Collection of Rocks: Petrified Wood and Fossilized Rocks, Granite, Quartzite Shell, Lime Stone, Sist, Hard Rock, Basalt, Silica, Nice, Clay-Rock etc. have been preserved in the museum for public display. These are sized by 3-4 inches to 10 feet there 60 pieces of rocks.
There are about 50 pieces of archaeological Rocks preserved in the museum. Most of these Rocks are transferred from another place. Symbolic human figures, engraved on some rocks, different incomprehensible letters and words along with 'Chinese' are also found. 'Biahmmi', 'Kharsty' language are inscribed. Some geometrical diagrams and bows and arrows are engraved. Some slabs are made of Rocks. These works prove the existence of the aborigines and the tradition of human habitation in the region.
Besides "Puja" (prayer) offerings on pieces of rocks, stone made plant and bowel, stairs, low stone seats, flat rocks for crushing ets. used of rocks for various purpose prove that "neolithic" civilization fully flourished in this region.
The stone slabs with artistic engravings collected from Vitargarh are similar to the engraved stones of Paharpur Bodha Bihar. It is assumed that at least some small "Bodha Bihar" existed in that area in ancient time.
The other collections, are mostly countable. Two Archaeological boats (made with only one truck of tree and about 500 to 1000 years ago and Multicolored sand and earth, petrified 'shall wood' and net, ancient pictured bamboo fearing, various antics, ancient writings.
Shamsuzzaman Khan, Director General of National Museum and Hanti Glasi, Professor, Indiana University of USA visited the Rocks Museum on May 14, 2000.
Panchagarh Nursery [Panchagarh]
Panchagarh Nursery was conceived as the sister concern of national horticulture, with an objective to supply most quality plant saplings all over the country. And, by now, the garden has proved itself as the symbol of Quality, Integrity and commitment in Nursery Industry across the country.
Panchagarh Nursery started fruit garden at the foothills of the Himalayas, beside the dream city of Darjeeling, at the north most part of the Panchagarh, at Shalbahan of Tetulia, named as National Horticulture Centre. In 2006/07 Panchagarh Nursery became the most well known and renowned horticulture centre of the country.
Being awarded the First prize in the National Tree Fair 2007, Panchagarh Nursery has been recognized as the Leader of the market in the nursery sector.
Gemcon Limited [Panchagarh]
Gemcon Limited being the pioneer in the field of SPC electric poles, established the plant over a land of 35 Acres in Panchagarh district which is situated in the least developed area in the northern part of Bangladesh. All the products in the plant are manufactured by using indigenous raw materials. The factory has created direct or indirect job opportunity for more than 1500 people and helping the nation in poverty alleviation.
Gemcon Limited was incorporated in the year 1983. Immediately after incorporation; a project was undertaken to manufacture SPC Electric poles, Concrete, Railway sleepers, Sheet piles, Hollow core slabs, PC blocks and other concrete products with approval of the government of Bangladesh. While Bangladesh Power Development Board accorded its consent for such a plant, the project was financed by Bangladesh Shilpa Rin Sangtha and Investment Corporation of Bangladesh.
Gem Jute Limited [Panchagarh]
Gem Jute Limited was established in Panchagarh in 2003, with the corporate vision is to improve the livelihood of the local population by providing employment and advancement opportunities, stimulate the local economy through direct and indirect economic activities. Gem Jute promotes sustainable development and support the environment by providing high-quality, organic, biodegradable products to the world market.
In January 31, 2006, this company achieved the ISO 9001:2000 certification.
Gem Jute limited products the following items:
9.Poly coated bags to protect seeds & other materials from air
10.Export yarn, all qualities including CRM, CRT and other fine yarn ranging from 4.8 lbs to 38 lbs.
11.Diversified products such as fancy bags, shopping bags, upholstery, curtain cloth, etc.
The Gem Jute Ltd. mill has been built on 60 acres of land. Gemcon (the parent company) started purchasing land for the establishment of Gem Jute Mills in 2002. It took 2 years to purchase enough land to build the mill. Development began in 2002 & was ready for machinery in 2003. Most machines are fully or almost assembled, while new machines are continuously being added.
The company objectives are to serve the local people by creating job opportunities, defend the environment, protect traditional agro-industries, and earn foreign currency for the country through a profit-making venture.
Gem Jute Limited.
Head Office: K. R. Hasan D.M.S (UK)
Deputy Managing Director
House 44, Road 27(Old), 16(New),
Dhanmondi, Dhaka-1209, Bangladesh
Phone: +880-9138242-3, 8124382
Moniramjote, Maidandighi, Boda,
Shurjopuri Mango Tree, Baliadangi [Thakurgaon]
Biggest Mango Tree of Bangladesh, in Thakurgaon - in Mondomala village of Baliadangi upazilla has the biggest mango tree of the country. It's name is "Shurjopuri Aam Gachh (Mango tree)". From a distance, the huge number of it's branches looks like a mango garden. The large tree is on 2.5 Bigah of land. The tree has 20 naut encircled. Saidur Rahman of Mondomala village is the owner of the tree. This large tree produces a lot of mango every year.
Age – 200years
Caretaker Of Tree:
Vill : Noyapara Harinmari , P.O : Harinmari Hat,
P.S : Baliadangi ,Dis : Thakurgaon.
Md. Siadur Rahman Mollah
Restaurant & Accommodation Facility:
There are no Facility to eat and stay there, You mast have to come back Thakurgaon.
How to Go There:
Thakurgaon to baliadangi by Bus—20/= Par head
Baliadangi to Noyapara by rickshaw—30/= Par head.
Thakurgaon to Noyapara by micro/car – Negotiable reserve
Thakurgaon Sugar Mills [Thakurgaon ]
Thakurgaon Sugar Mills is situated in 5 k.m. south from Thakurgaon city. Established in 1957, this industry is still (2009) the largest industry in Thakurgaon district.
Raja (King) Tonkonath [Thakurgaon]
Residence of Raja (King) Tonkonath - the residence of Raja Tonkunath is one of the transference of attributes of Thakurgaon. This is also knows as Ranishonkoil Jomidar Bari. Jomidar (Landlord) Tonkunath achieved the title "Raja (King)" from the British government, from then it was know as Rajbari (residence of the king). In the east side of Ranishonkoil upazilla, this Rajbari is in the bay of Kulik river. Jomidar Buddhinath Chowdhuri started to build this residence, and Raja Tonkunath finished the build.
Shibmondir in Baliadangi [Thakurgaon]
Shibmondir in Baliadangi - There is a 400 years old Shib mondir (temple) in 8 km north-south side of Baliadangi upazilla of Thakurgaon district. The 30 feet tall temple has reduced its height a lot due to subside.